Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prettyLady1987 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 09:56 PM
    Free-will/determinism
    Explain the nature, reasons in favor and reasons against, as well as critically evaluate these reasons, for each of the following positions in the free-will/determinism debate: Hard Determinism, Compatibalism (aka Soft Determinism), and Libertarianism.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2006, 11:19 PM
    Very great question, a little deep general answer question, and books have been written on these ideas.

It really sounds like some school work study, which we should not be doing your work for you, ( part of the free will of responsiblity)

If this is not school work, perhaps you can break this down into a less complete discussion area and question specific areas where all can join in,

If this is school work, perhaps reading the book or chapters this was designed for would be a great idea.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 10, 2006, 08:37 PM
    I agree with Fr Chuck.
    I would also remind you that the research itself is a very valuable learning experience which you would lose out on if someone else did it for you. In fact, the research activity is very often more important than the material that's being researched. So evading it is cutting yourself short educationally speaking. It can also perpetuate the inability to research and lead to further difficulties.

I suggest you try going to Wikipedia and giving its search engine the categories you listed. Then gather all the info you need since without it nothing can be done. Don't let the amount of available info frustrate you. Just concentrate on placing the relevant into its categories. Once you have all the info you need all you have to do is put it in essay format--and viola! You are done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism
    VSPrasad Posts: 108, Reputation: 10

Aug 2, 2008, 06:45 AM
    The law of cause and effect is known in philosophical
    Texts also. There is a very specific law in science.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite
    reaction". If you write it in English, it becomes
    Newton's Law. If you write it in Sanskrit, it becomes
    Law of Karma.

karma - Search.com

Causa est omnibus in Latin means 'there is a reason for everything.
    Similar meaning is given by the phrases "as you sow
    so shall you reap", "what goes around comes around",
    And "sow the wind; reap the whirlwind".

Re: Reap the whirlwind

Leucippus, the founder of the atomic theory, declared in his only
    Surviving statement, "Nothing occurs at random, but everything happens
    for a reason and by necessity". It is known as Leucippus' principle of
    Causality.

Democritus: Biography and Much More from Answers.com

"Everything happens for a reason. Every action has a reaction. Always
    remember that whats meant to be will always find a way to come about."

Karma What Is It

Similar meaning is given by the phrases "as you sow
    so shall you reap", "what goes around comes around",
    And "sow the wind; reap the whirlwind".

Re: Reap the whirlwind

Everything Happens for a Reason

However, Karma is not determinism. The very wording
    "for every action" says that we have free-will for action.
    Karma only warns about the inevitable reaction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free/Almost Free Online Multiplayer Games [ 51 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend any free/nearly free online multiplayer games. A few friends and I are looking for some good games over the internet. Preferably something other than a MMORPG as you have to devote a lot of time to those in order to keep up with each other. ...

Free Movies [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I have been searching for free movies across the internet that don't require credit cards so if anyone know such sites concering free movies Thanks

Free grants [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how to go about getting a free grant from the federal governmant. I have recently been classified as disabled and would like to start up a career in real estate investing since this would not take a lot of physical labor in order to be a success. I have 3 years of college...

Avg Free [ 11 Answers ]

I have installed AVG Free virus scanner but now I cannot receive or send emails from outlook express. If I close AVG then I can get mail Any ideas - I'm running Windows XP Thanks

.com address for free [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way that I can create a decent website for free... for example can I create an http://www."mysitenamehere".com address without having to pay for the site. I have created a geocities site before... as well as a bravenet site as well.. but they have the messed up site name like the...

View more questions Search