Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justspeed Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 06:29 PM
    Heating and cooling help
    I don't know how I got myself so mixed up but I need help. I built my first home about 4 years ago. My first winter (I live in Florida) I used heat on the stat when it got cold out. I went to work one morning and saw my unit was iced up. I called installer and he told me to use Emer heat. So I have been the last few years. Never noticed any issues. But now it is quite cold and last night I noticed my heat was pretty much on all night. I would hear it go off only to come back on 20 secs later. Keep in mind its been on emergency heat. Now tonight I found that the air was not coming out hot or even warm. Just barely warm. I switched over to heat. (My Options are cool/off/Heat/Emergency heat) So when I moved it to Heat it was the same thing. Really not much for heat. Then Something told me to move the stat temp up and after a min or so the reading on the stat said AUX heat and it was blowing hot. So what am I missing? I was doing some reading and folks are saying you should use heat not emergency heat because the heat pump costs less to run. But if the unit ices up that has to be a bad thing. I have no idea if it goes into defrost. Emergency heat has been working fine for a few years with plenty of heat. Why all of a sudden it blows cool but when stat said (for the first time ever) AUX heat it was toasty. Can anyone help me understand what I am doing wrong? Should I be using Heat function? And not worry about it being hardly warm air? Could that be because of outside temp? Its 37 out right now. I don't want to hurt my system.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 07:02 PM
    I really feel it would be better for you to call for ON SITE service from a local HVAC company. This way you can ask them questions and have them check your equipment to make sure it is all working correctly.

Jan 4, 2010, 07:07 PM

Funny thing is I just had service done this fall as it is done each year. Everything checked out and they only made one change. He re-wired blower to high rather than low so I could get more air to other end of house.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 07:58 PM

Call that same tech back for a looksee.

Jan 4, 2010, 08:24 PM

Good idea guys. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating and cooling [ 1 Answers ]

I turn on my thermostat to heat and turn the poweer on to my furnace and it doesn't light the pilot, it has a self ignitor which looks OK, but it does make a humming noise, what could be the problem?

Heating and Cooling [ 4 Answers ]

I found out why my thermostat is not working. We went through and found out my fan on my furnace is not working. They told me that I proably blown a fuse. I have an american standard furnace - model number twv025b140a1 - serial number is g49394469 - motor hp is 1/4. Can you tell me where the...

Heating and Cooling [ 0 Answers ]

Duplicate

Heating and cooling [ 1 Answers ]

HI I would like to get help to see if I have wired my thermostat correctly

Heating and cooling [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace come on and then starts to blow out cold air

View more questions Search