Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juliesvery sad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 03:33 PM
    Received gifts from my ex husband after we were divorced. Do I have to return them?
    My ex husband is taking me to court for return of gifts he purchased for me AFTER we were divorced. Some of these include boots specifically for me, a chinchilla that is very much MY pet, puzzles, and a shop vac. He also wants money for things he paid for on my behalf such as plastic to winterize my home, car insurance and car renewal. I did not ask him to purchase these items he did this of his own accord.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 07:37 AM

I think the time for him to recover anything he thought was his, or owed to him, is long gone.

Sometime during the negotiations for the separation agreement and division of assets, that should have been mentioned I would think.

If all divorced people went back and re-hashed settlements, the courts would be overwhelmed.

I would say, once the divorce was final, it was final. That's it, no going back if you accidentally 'forgot' something.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 12:07 PM

Since your saying AFTER the divorce then he is wasting the courts time. When I was going through my divorce and even through the tough portions of child custody battles I also bought "gifts" for my ex when it was her birthday and christams because I did it for my children. They weren't directly from me but certainly there was no expectation of return of any kind. I allowed my children to pick out a gift for their mother on her birthday and on christmas until they were old enough to earn it and do it themsleves. A gift is just that not a contract or some other form of legal holding. I hope the judge rheems him for wasting the time of the courts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 01:18 PM

If they were gifts, and you were not married, he does not get them back,

Does he have any evidence at all, to make them seem like a gift.

Was he trying to "buy" your attention back ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have been divorced for 15 months my husband says he was never properly served [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced since January 17 2008 collecting alimony for 15 months taken directly out of his check December 18 2008 he filed papers to set aside default judgement due to non service January 15 2008 I received papers from a lawyer in West Virginia stating my ex went to his office with what...

How long must I be legaly separated from my husband before I can get divorced? [ 10 Answers ]

How long must I be legaly separated from my husband before I can get divorced?

Divorced her husband to date [ 7 Answers ]

I have a friend who divorced her husband and left her kids just so she can datej other men why would she do this? *** racial comments taken out***

Return of Gifts [ 3 Answers ]

I had gifted a $5000 animal as a commitment to a relationship - similar to the token of an engagement ring. The relationship failed and ended. I have requested to have the animal and certificate of ownership returned. I have several e-mails from past partner stating he will return the animal...

Return not received? File again? [ 2 Answers ]

I suspect my return hasn't been received by the IRS; I haven't received delivery confirmation notice from the postal service after a few weeks. I'm filing from abroad. 1. Is there a way to know from the IRS whether they've received it? 2. If I have reason to believe the first return will not...

View more questions Search