Ask
    DanaNPaul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2004, 01:51 PM
    Tub drain strange leak
    Hi

Okay, here goes...
    Septic tank pumped about 10 weeks ago.

Back to back bathrooms.

In bathroom 1, after bathing and when tub is draining, water has just recently started not draining out of the house to the septic tank, rather it backs up somewhere and ends up coming out between the bathroom1 toilet base and floor and also then seeps through the shared wall and onto the floor of bathroom 2.
    This does not occur every time the tub is drained, more like 60 or 70% of the time.
    Bath 2 tub has no draining problems, but if the toilet in bath 2 is flushed while tub in bath 1 is properly draining, flush will instantly cause the draining bathroom1 tub to leak in the manner described above.
    Just yesterday, flushing the toilet in bath1 caused leaking and some mighty gurgling from drains of tubs in bath1 and bath 2 along with some "stuff" (not poop or anything, but looks like mold or mildew or something) coming up thriough the drains of both tubs.
    These are the only two bathrooms in the house, and no other drains have any problems.

This is a site built single family home on a monolithic slab on grade foundation. Home was built in 1964 and purchased by us in 1998 with no previous plumbing issues prior to this mess.

Any advice or cures would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul
    High Springs, Florida
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2004, 03:58 PM
    Re: Tub drain strange leak
    Surprise!!   :o  I'm lead plumber on three Q& A sites.   :D  so I guess the answer would be, Hi Paul, Greetings from Sarasota. If the tank's OK then you have a partial blockage in your drainage lines. With a partial blockage the water would still drain but when you increased the volume of flow,(like flushing the john) it would back up. The next step would be to find out where. Locate the sewer cleanout. It should be about 18" off the foundation and brought to grade or just under the dirt. Open it up and flush the toilet in bath #2 while draining a tub full of water from bath #1. If the water backs up out of the cleanout then the problem is in the line between the clean out and the septic tank or the septic system itself and you will need a septic tank company. If it starts to back up in the house, that means the blockage is under the slab in the drainage lines. You now have two options. If you call in a plumber you have saved the labor expense of him having to locate the clog. Or you can rent a sewer machine and go up on the roof go after it yourself. Run the snake down the vent from the roof vent of the furthest vent. Run it past the cleanout that you opened up. That should clear out the bathroom branch and the house main.  Good luck Paul.  8)   Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Drain Leak [ 9 Answers ]

My house is 17 years old and I am the original owner. The fiberglass shower stall in the 2nd floor master bath is obviously leaking, as the first floor ceiling directly below it has some water spots and was wet to the touch. I removed the drain screen and pulled out 17 years worth of hair. It...

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak where my inner flange meets the ceramic title in my shower. I cut a hole in the ceiling below and can see where it's leaking. I don't think it's the liner. My question is what prouduct do you recommend to put between the flange and the title. I used a title grout repair type caluk and...

Tub drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have tracked down a leak coming from my upstairs tub but I'm not sure what the proper way to repair it is. I'm a big DIYer but I know nothing about plumbing. Here's what I've found: I cut a peek hole in the ceiling below the tub and found that its leaking at the connection between the...

Tub Drain Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I hope my problem is a simple one... Our house was built in 1978-79, although we have only lived there for 2 1/2 years. About a month ago, water started dripping through our ceiling underneath our tub. I cut out the ceiling (that was the only option to access) and found that the leak was...

Shower Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 36"x42" fiberglass shower (mfg: Jacuzzi) on the second floor that is leaking from the drain. I have opened up the ceiling on the first floor for access and had a plumber take a look at it. Appaently the problem is caused by a slight movement of the drain when someone steps into the shower...

View more questions Search