Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:47 PM
    2012 The end or another sham
    I'm not sure if this is the right place, but if it's not I'm sure Ben will move it.

Since History Channel is doing a whole week dedicated to this, I was wondering what your thoughts about it was. Will the Earth be sucked into a black hole? Will "God" unleash his angry side with fierce earthquakes, fires and other natural disasters? Will we suffer from disease or nuclear war? What are your thoughts?

Personally, I don't think anything out of the ordinary is going to happen, I think the Myians just got bored with the whole scheme and stopped.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Nothing will happen. It makes for good TV though. Those who are having a crappy life will hope that its true though.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:51 PM

Ha ha well played NK, I love watching it on TV because I sit there and think. Wow people actually believe this stuff.

The best are the biblical prophecies that say one thing and people relate it to something that makes no sense. They are so vague and when they relate it to something, it is a far fetched idea.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
    During the holidays I'd flip through the channels during a weekday and be aghast at daytime TV, it's so putrid I fear for those who watch soaps and Montel and Dr. Phil and the like. Where would be without Discovery channel or the computer (when I'm not out tobogganing with the kids or doing some tech support.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 12:56 PM

History and Discovery are two of my favorite channels. I have also recently gotten the Military channel so that's been using up the available free TV Time
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 01:06 PM

We will only know when it gets to 2012

Personally I'm looking forward to finding out :)
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jan 4, 2010, 02:26 PM

2012 will most likely have the same disastrous effects that Y2K did.

I'm sorry, I just can't help mentioning that Rome's understanding of Bible prophecy needs updating.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 02:29 PM

Galveston,

I never once claimed to understand the bible, and won't engage into a religious argument here. My stance is that it's just another book and will always be that. I was stating what I saw from a television show which given the information from them could be used to depict a variable amount of things.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 02:53 PM

Yeah I got sucked into watching the Nostradamus Effect Marathon on the History channel this weekend. I don't believe any of it. But if it is true I hope I am not in a car when the Rapture happens I hate sitting in traffic!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 02:55 PM

Spit, I agree. I don't think anything is going to happen but it's weird to imagine it. As much as I wanted to turn off the marathon, I couldn't.

Jan 4, 2010, 02:57 PM

I hope no one confuses Nostradamus with Bible.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 02:57 PM

I couldn't turn it off either. It is interesting to see all points of view. I like the show Life after People. I always watch it and think man I hope I get to see that but then I think oh I'd be dead.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 02:58 PM
    Nope we know the difference they were just talking about the Rapture on that show.

Jan 4, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Yeah I got sucked into watching the Nostradamus Effect Marathon on the History channel this weekend. I don't believe any of it. But if it is true I hope I am not in a car when the Rapture happens I hate sitting in traffic!!!!!
    There may not be as many driverless cars as you might imagine in the event of the Rapture.

But why be one left sitting in the car when that is not necessary?
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 03:01 PM

Gal, No I don't confuse him with the bible. The bible foretells of many events that are supposed to come to pass before Armageddon. I was simply stating that some of the ideas are far fetched, scriptures they have described.

I couldn't care less what comes to pass, as long as I go quickly. I don't want a slow painful one ha ha.

I agree, I would not want to be in traffic when that happens. Life after People is awesome! New season tomorrow!
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    Life after People is awesome! New season tomorrow!
    That's what that was! I was flipping between that and the Junior hockey tournament. Also I was into a phase of reading post-apocalyptic/last m,an on earth novels just for fun.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2010, 03:33 PM

It's just the Mayan Y2K bug.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 05:19 AM
    Sham or scam
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place, but if it's not I'm sure Ben will move it.

Since History Channel is doing a whole week dedicated to this, I was wondering what your thoughts about it was. Will the Earth be sucked into a black hole? Will "God" unleash his angry side with fierce earthquakes, fires and other natural disasters? Will we suffer from disease or nuclear war? What are your thoughts?

Personally, I don't think anything out of the ordinary is going to happen, I think the Myians just got bored with the whole scheme and stopped.
    It makes good press and good fiction. Something might happen just as y2k happened ten years late to some unfortunates who didn't keep up with technology. There are many things that might happen, emissions trading schemes, cosmic disaster, solar mass ejection, climate out of control, one world government each one a greater disaster than the next but what we do know is none of it is predictable. God has taken the trouble to tell us how things will play out, he just hasn't given us a date so 2012 is as good a date as any. And what did he tell us? Signs in the heavens, falling stars, meteorites, plagues, wars, turmoil, earthquakes, death, dictators, break down in morals, sure sounds like the age we are in

The Mayans built a calendar on a 25,000 year time scale and it resets in 2012 and starts another cycle or what ever. All they said is it is a time of change, just as we looked to 2000 as a time of change in our culture, well, 2001 brought great change so...
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Jan 16, 2010, 12:00 AM

Maybe 2012 is when the Hadron Collider will wreck things up in the environment. I still am amazed at how this physicist has any right to mess with very powerful factors.

The most complex piece of scientific equipment ever built, the collider will send particles crashing into each other at just a wink shy of the speed of light, generating energies more powerful than the sun.

I think he is as guilty as any criminal and if things happen in 2012, we should blame him.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2010, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemcs View Post
    Maybe 2012 is when the Hadron Collider will wreck things up in the environment. I still am amazed at how this physicist has any right to mess with very powerful factors.

The most complex piece of scientific equipment ever built, the collider will send particles crashing into each other at just a wink shy of the speed of light, generating energies more powerful than the sun.

I think he is as guilty as any criminal and if things happen in 2012, we should blame him.
    You seem to have a serious issue with the hadron collider/ All right they didn't ask our permission and yes they might succeed in creating a black hole but seriously aren't you responding to science fiction rather than science fact

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will The World End In 2012? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if this would come into the subject of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Everybody at my school is saying "why are us kids wasting the last 3 or 4 years of our lifes in school?" Today, I asked one of them what it meant, and they told me all about it. They said that the myan tribe...

Will the world end in 2012 [ 17 Answers ]

So I was watching a show today and they were talking about the Mayan calendar and how it ends in 2012. It stated that when the calender ends the world would end. They even gave the that of Dec 22 2012. It goes on to say that The Mayan people were genuises. They knew what would happen on the sun...

Will the world end in 2012? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure this is the right spot to publish this question, but here goes: Do you believe that the world will end in 2012? If so, why? If not, why not?

2012 end of world [ 18 Answers ]

The maya had this belief that they could tell time using a 13 moon counting system and they said that time would end on 21 of December of 2012 now then if you believe this then please put down why you think this if you don't believe like me then put down how and why I think this is fasanating to...

View more questions Search