Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake_S Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 11:21 AM
    "trane 1100 xl"
    I noticed yesterday that our heat pump has a gas like smell coming from the outside vent. I don't recall this occurring before, and I'm not sure where to look. We have a Carbon Monoxide detector in the house, and that has not gone off, so I don't believe any carbon monoxide is entering the house.

Any ideas on what would cause the gas smell?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 11:23 AM
    Gas smell like natural gas or propane? None of that is in your unit so it could be a neighbors lp tank or a gas grill tank.
    Jake_S Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 11:57 AM

HVAC1000,

It's not quite a natural gas smell, but it is acrid almost like nitro methane in a car engine. The smell is coming from the blower housing when the unit is running.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
    This is a new one on me and I am glad it is outside. You might shut the unit off and check for any burnt items etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Central heater will not work on "auto" and blows cool air when on "man" [ 2 Answers ]

OK my central heater blower will not come on at all when on auto, and when on manual/on it just blows cool air out of vents. I was told to put a jumper wire on (w) to (g)wires at the thermostat, (I think) to check it, but not sure exactly. Is that the thermostat on wall or what? The pilot light is...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

Trane 80XL "Common" connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Folks... I have a special thermostat in which I need to connect the common line, "C" in order to power this thing. Where can I get a connection to "Common" in this older furnace? See attached Many many thanks! Brian

View more questions Search