Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RGamer2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 11:31 PM
    Sonic CD doesn't work on modern PC?
    I have a VERY old version of Sonic CD for the PC.

How old? Windows XP doesn't run it.

Says it needs "DCI-Compliant" drivers to run.

What does that mean? Is there any hope of getting this to work on a Modern PC?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 03:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RGamer2009 View Post
    Says it needs "DCI-Compliant" drivers to run. What does that mean?
    DCI in that context probably stands for Display Control Interface which was a Microsoft/Intel video standard precursor to DirectX and the Direct Draw Interface (DDI).

Quote Originally Posted by RGamer2009 View Post
    Is there any hope of getting this to work on a Modern PC?
    There's always hope... with enough effort... custom coding... reverse engineering... etc.

I usually find it easier in XP to fiddle with the game's shortcut's compatibility mode settings first, and if any of those don't work find some old hardware of the same vintage as the game and setup a machine just for the game. Even if it is possible to get the game to load with the compatibility settings, often implicit assumptions were made about the underlying hardware that are no longer valid and the game may do funky things like run so extremely fast that is it unplayable.

Another option is to look for a modern version of the game. Many classics are being revised and re-released.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 10:58 AM

I have a lot of games that I absolutely love that are now useless on my new computer.

I managed to find some of them online very cheap.
    Just do a Google search for the game you are after and see if you can find it available for download. The official SEGA site may even have it.

I used to play the game Theme Hospital a lot years ago and I couldn't find a version online that would work on my computer, I was gutted... then I was browsing through the online store on my PS3 and found it! Only $8 I believe, bargain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sonic the hedgehog [ 4 Answers ]

How do you defeat silver in boss battle?

Sonic booms [ 4 Answers ]

How far does a sonic boom travel

Sonic Riders help [ 1 Answers ]

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!! I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME BEAT THE LAST LEVEL OF THE FIRST SECTION OF THIS GAME!! ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!! :mad: I keep falling off the edge of the track. I need a cheat. A button combo, actually, cause I don't have a cheat device.:( and don't give me any tips for staying on...

Sonic RecordNow.. [ 2 Answers ]

Will this software allow me to copy DVD's that I own... I want to make some backups of movies but I'm not sure if this program will let me or if I need a special disc?? Thanks...

View more questions Search