Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jofaly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Ceiling leak below bathroom
    It appears the leak is coming from the bathroom sink and is leaking into the closet downstairs. There's a huge circle and it appears the problem has been there for a long time before I bought the condo. I've noticed that at times when the water is running in the sink, I can hear drops onto a hard surface so I'm inclined to think the leak is coming from the sink which is encased with a dark cherry wood unit with a marble top. How would one go about getting to the leak without causing major costly repairs? The ceiling will definitely need fixing (probably cutting and replacing the deteriorated section).
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2010, 08:00 AM

If you can see no moisture around the trap or in the cabinet then the leak is inside the wall in the horizontal drain line. This can be reached one of two ways.
    1) pull the vanity and open up the wall,**OR**
    2) Open up the wall on the other side.
    I'd go with door #2 myself. Patching and painting the wall's a lot easier then tearing up up your vanity.
    If the drain's anything but plastic replace with PVC. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 08:43 AM

Do you own or rent this condo and is there a home owners association with covenants and rules?
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Jan 4, 2010, 01:25 PM

If you know you have to pull off and replace the wet drywall anyway, I'd start with pulling that off and seeing if you get lucky enough to see the leak. If so, then no extra harm done since you were going to repair that drywall anyway. If you don't see the source of the leak, then I'd do as Tom suggested above. Also, if you rent the condo, you'd best leave this up to the landlord to fix. That's the easiest approach!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Leak to Downstairs Ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

My bathroom appears to be leaking into the ceiling of the apartment below me. The tub/bathroom appears to be very old (at least 30+ years) and the maintence person and myself cannot figure out the leak. At one point, we noticed water dripping down from the sides of the tub wall so we installed a...

Bathroom upstairs and leak to ceiling directly below it [ 16 Answers ]

I have a two story rental unit. The bathroom with double sinks and a shower is directly over the living room. There is a leak in the ceiling. It has leaked in the same spot before and then stopped. Now, the leak has come back. I have called several plumbers and there solution is to cut a hole...

Leak in 1st floor bathroom ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

There a leak in our first floor bathroom ceiling. This leak happens only when it rains. Above the first floor bathroom is the 2nd floor bathroom. There is no water on the 2nd floor bathroom. The toilet on the 2nd floor flushes fine. The 2nd floor bathroom is part of a room addition. I had...

Leak in on Lounge room ceiling -bathroom above [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have perodic leak from my bathroom onto the ceiling in my lounge room. I had the first leak at christmas 2 yrs ago. When after bathing the children a tiny amount of water came through a tiny hole in the ceiling into the lounge. It did leave a stain on the ceiling along a straight...

Leak From Bathroom Ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Just upgraded my water well which required that we run chlorine through the pipes for disinfection. Same week, ceiling started leaking around fan vent. Leak mysteriously stopped for several days and has now started again, same place. When we turn the water off at the pump, the leak continues. We...

View more questions Search