Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlbell51 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Basement framing question
    I am looking for some ideas on where to start framing walls in my basement.I have started one wall along a floor beam. Then laying out the wall along the exterior wall I found that something isn't square. I assumed the floor beam was a good point to start. I have poured wall. The house is about 5 months old.
    eyecue Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2010, 08:06 PM

Cut and paste this:

Basement Framing Layout, Part 2 Video ? 5min.com
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 3, 2010, 08:54 PM

Rarely is anything in a basement square. Your floor will rise and sink and the walls are not parallel/perpendicular. Build your first wall laying down on the floor using a pressure treated floor plate. Get this wall square and the nail temporary diagonals to keep it square, raise it in place bolting or nailing into the floor and shimming on the top. Once you get your first wall up all other walls must be square. Oparallel, perpendicular to that wall even if it does not follow the foundation wall. That was a nice video, look for video #1 also

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing walls in basement [ 2 Answers ]

I will be framing "floating" walls in my basement using 2x4's. Framing a wall perpendicular to the "engineered" floor joist is not problem, but how do I handle a wall that runs parallel to the floor joist and is located between the joist, not directly on a joist? Keep in mind this is an engineered...

Basement framing over 1x3 [ 4 Answers ]

Looking to redo a couple semi finished rooms in my basement. One of the rooms is already finished with 1x3 furringstrips and paneling. I plan on removing the paneling but what about the furring strips? They are attached to masonary walls with nails. If I start ripping them out won't that do a...

Basement framing question [ 3 Answers ]

I have a rough in for a basement bathroom and have a few questions... 1. If I am going to put a shower enclosure in, should I frame behind it or just have plastic moisture barrier against the concrete with the fiberglass enclosure over that?

Quick framing question [ 9 Answers ]

I am building a wall to replace the garage door in my basement. I will be using 2x6 lumber for the framing. What is the recommended spacing for the studs? The width is 8' with a 36" door in the center. After the width of the pre-hung door frame and the two studs beside it and the stud...

View more questions Search