Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BEBE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Opt Visa
    I am a canadian that is on a F-1 OPT visa working at 2 places. I am an optometrist who is being paid as an independent contractor therefore my employer is not taking out taxes. What kinds of deductions can I make when I file my taxes. I know we are exempt from medicaid and SS but how do we deduct that..

Also as an independent contractor what kinds of things can we write off? Like meals? Or gas? Is that possible?

Also do you know what kinds of taxes I would have to pay in canada?

What forms should I file? Where do I get them?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 15, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Cannot help you on the Canada taxes.

You should be able to deduct some of your mileage. Other deductions, I do not know. You may be able to deduct what you pay in Canadian taxes.

I strongly recommend you get professional tax advice to prepare your return, preferably by someone who also know Canadian tax law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

K-1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Inregards to the K-1 Visa, under what circumstances would the Attorney General Waive the requirement that the petitioner and beneficiary have to have met in the previous two years?

On F-1( OPT ) & H1-B visa in 2005 [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Sir, I was in F1 visa uptill June 2005, & from July 2005 onwards I am in H1-B visa. However I got married to a girl who is a green card holder in May 2005. Now I have come to know that I can file my taxes as a resident alien provided if I do a joint file return with my wife. Is it...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

How can I get visa to uk? [ 1 Answers ]

I am lebanese live in lebanon, think to visite uk, how can I get visite visa to uk?I mean what is the rules to get visite visa to uk? Thank you very much

View more questions Search