Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c4vett89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2004, 08:59 AM
    Washer drain backing up
    Moved into a 2 story townhouse recently and bought a new over/under washer and drier. While doing some wash my wife noticed that when the washer drained it backed up into the sink. The lucky thing was it was a small load.
    This morning was an extra large load, and it backed up so bad that it filled the sink (but did not over flow) and continued to back up until it came out of the washer drain.

My initial thought is there is a clog in the drain somewhere and I need a snake or auger to clean it out.

But I remember the installers taking out the air gap for the dishwasher, could this also be related ( I have had no issues with it backing up).

Both the dish washer and washer/drier are in the kitchen.

Need some help, please.

TIA

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2004, 09:31 AM
    Re: Washer drain backing up
    Go with your first impression. Removing the air gap has nothing to do with your back up. Get out that trusty snake because you have a partian blockage in the washer/sink drain line. A partial clog will let you drain your sink but your washer pump discharges with great pressure and increased volume and can't completely get past the clog so it backs up into the sink. Your clog is located downstream from the sink so you will have to snake from the kitchen sink roof vent, unless the builder left a clean out in the vertical stack. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom
    c4vett89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2004, 09:40 AM
    Thanks for the information. ;D
    I'm unsure if there is a clean out in the vertical stack, the house was built in 1965 and we have found a few things that we know aren't up to today's codes.
    What is the sink roof vent you speak of, is that actually the vent on the roof?
    Could I run the snake from the sink trap instead?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2004, 09:48 AM
    The vent you will have to snake is located directly above the kitchen sink if your sink is on a outside wall. You can not snake through the trap. You will run into a tee. From the roof you will have a direct shot at it. Drop your snake down the vent until it hits the bend at the bottom of the stack and then run it out out about 15 or 20 feet to be sure you're in the main. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New roof & washer/sink backing up? [ 1 Answers ]

A few years ago my husband tied into the pluming for our bathroom sink to add laundry hookups. It's been working well, although occasionally some of the washing machine water will back up in the sink for a bit, but it hasn't ever overflowed the sink and the water was always clear. Last week we...

Washer backing up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys. My 21-year-old son recently brought a house (6 months). I am very proud of him but very disappointed in the house. In a very short time we have found many problems with this house. It angers me because my son is a hard worker, good kid and deserves better. So, after this small intro,...

Floor Drain in my Washer/Dryer room is backing up [ 1 Answers ]

I have a floor drain that the previous owner of my house put in ( I guess). My washer/dryer is on our second floor of out two story home. The drain has been backing up and spilling out into the catch tray under the washer/dryer. I can't seem to figure out how to unclog this drain. It's only about...

Dishwasher won't drain and washer is backing up and overflowing [ 3 Answers ]

I have problem that has completely stumped my dad and I. My washer is backing up every time it goes to drain out for both the wash and rinse cycles. Also, my dishwasher is not draining out at all either. The washer has been doing this for a while, but the dishwasher just recently started doing...

Washer backing up in tub and shower... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, this is my first post here, ill try to describe problem as best as I can. I have a sink and a bathtub in small bath, sink drains fine but tub drains slow, and no backup when washer drains. The kitchen has a dishwasher and a sink, drains fine but little backup when washer drains. ...

View more questions Search