Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Only green light, no amber
    I have a NAS device on my netywork that failed. I've tried a number of trouble shooting techniques to no avail. The probem has been narrowed down to the NAS not grabbing an IP from the router.. One of the reasons I think this is happening is because I only get a green light flashing on the Ethernet jack, no amber.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips for this?

HELP, all my data is on this device!! :::sniff:::

Scott<>
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Anyone have any troubleshooting tips for this? HELP, all my data is on this device!!!!!
    First, see README before posting in the computer forums..

Then:
    1. Any recent physical network changes?
    2. Check cables.
    3. Confirm router DHCP is 1) issuing addresses, and 2) issuing proper addresses for the subnet the NAS device should be on.
    4. Cold boot the NAS device.

Does the device have a local console port (serial port) through which the device can be managed without using the network?

Jan 4, 2010, 06:08 AM
    Ahem! As I said, the problem has been narrowed by several rounds of trouble shooting. I truly do not believe the info requested would shed any additional light on things.

1. No. However, two weeks ago I had a power outage. I do have UPSes and was able to power down all my devices. When the power came back, my main PC didn't (blown power supply) and the NAS didn't.
    2. I've used different cables and different ports on the router. Since I am getting lights on both ends of the cable, I don't believe this is an issue.
    3. Since I am able to connect to the Internet on this PC it makes sense that the router is issuing IPs. However, I have gone into the router configuration and check the DHCP table to see what IPs are being issued. I have also refreshed that table.
    4. I have replaced the mobo on the NAS device (an HP Media Vault 2010). I've done a hard reset several times. I've been working with one ot the original design engineers for that product.

So, as I said, after several rounds of trouble shooting I feel the problem is that the NAS doesn't want to grab an IP from the router (Linksys WRT300N). One of the sysmptoms of this seems to be that the Amber light doesn't flash. So I need help on troubleshooting that aspect.
    Hardware Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 07:30 AM
    I truly do not believe the info requested would shed any additional light on things.
    It allows others to lookup the manual and determine if the light is supposed to be green and if so whether green means successful network link or your cappuccino is ready.

2. I've used different cables and different ports on the router.
    The manual mentions not using cables other than the ones supplied with the device. Unable to determine if this is due to special cable or other reason.

One of the sysmptoms of this seems to be that the Amber light doesn't flash.
    What is the amber light supposed to indicate? The manual indicates OK and Link should be green and Warning should not be yellow or red.

The router DHCP table should list an address entry for the NAS' MAC address if DHCP was successful. A ping would confirm. If the NAS does not get an address via DHCP the manual indicates if defaults to a 169.254.x.x address. This could be confirmed to see if it configures an address at all by changing the computer's address to the 169.254.x.x range and pinging the range for a response from the NAS. If a reply is received, the NAS network stack is going through it's paces configuring itself, but DHCP is failing somewhere. At this point, I'd stick in a packet sniffer (Wireshark) and see what traffic the NAS is generating and where/why DHCP is going kaput.

Also since the mobo is new, confirm firmware revision is up to date. Re-debugging old fixed bugs no fun.

Jan 4, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    It allows others to lookup the manual and determine if the light is supposed to be green and if so whether green means successful network link or your cappuccino is ready.
    It is my understanding that the ethernet port should show both lights if there is a successful connection. All my other devices as well as other devices I've checked (i.e. in a store) all show both lights.

The manual mentions not using cables other than the ones supplied with the device. Unable to determine if this is due to special cable or other reason.
    Which manual? I don't recall cables coming with the NAS and using cables supplied with the router makes no sense. These are standard Ethernet devices. I also mentioned swapping cables to the engineer I've been working with and I'm sure he would have mentioned something about specific cables.

What is the amber light supposed to indicate? The manual indicates OK and Link should be green and Warning should not be yellow or red.
    That's one of the things I'm trying to determine. I was assuming that one is send the other receive, but I'm not sure.

The router DHCP table should list an address entry for the NAS' MAC address if DHCP was successful. A ping would confirm. If the NAS does not get an address via DHCP the manual indicates if defaults to a 169.254.x.x address. This could be confirmed to see if it configures an address at all by changing the computer's address to the 169.254.x.x range and pinging the range for a response from the NAS. If a reply is received, the NAS network stack is going through it's paces configuring itself, but DHCP is failing somewhere. At this point, I'd stick in a packet sniffer (Wireshark) and see what traffic the NAS is generating and where/why DHCP is going kaput.
    Also since the mobo is new, confirm firmware revision is up to date. Re-debugging old fixed bugs no fun. [/quote]

The mobo was supplied by the engineer and it was tested. There is a process for forcing the firmware upgrade for the NAS. But before this can be done, the device has to receive an IP so it can be seen by the computer sending the update. That's where I am now. Can you provide a link to where you found the 169.254.x.x info. That could be a help.
    Hardware Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 08:20 AM
    It is my understanding that the ethernet port should show both lights if there is a successful connection. All my other devices as well as other devices I've checked (i.e. in a store) all show both lights... I was assuming that one is send the other receive, but I'm not sure.
    If you mean the two small LEDs on the LAN jack itself, they commonly indicate link/activity (yellow/amber/flashing) and 100/10 Mbit (green/off), but I don't know if there is a standard that governs all implementations. Lack of link is not DHCP related, it is a physical hardware or Ethernet auto-negotiation problem - typically cables, damaged ports, or mismatched settings between ports with statically configured speeds and/or duplexes. Power disturbances that result in surges can also fry multiple ports. If the LAN jack is integrated on the new motherboard it should be OK. Try connecting the NAS to all the router and/or switch ports with various cables and see if you get link (amber light) with any of them. The exact meaning of these lights on this product should also probably be confirmed with HP.

Does the link light on the front of the NAS with the network logo come on?

Can you provide a link to where you found the 169.254.x.x info. That could be a help.
    MV2010 Manual

HP Media Vault and HP Media Vault Pro Models - Home Networked Storage Device - Frequently Asked Questions - c01632988 - HP Business Support Center

Jan 4, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Does the link light on the front of the NAS with the network logo come on?
    No, the front panels lights do not come on. That is the problem. Yes, I'm referring to the lights on the Ethernet jack, I said that in the OP.

Yes, I went through most of those troubleshooting issues first thing. HP no longer supports the original Media Vaults. That's why I'm working with someone who was on the origina design team. He has explained that sometimes, the MV needs to be reloaded with the NAS firmware. He has linked me to the utilities that do this including the latest firmware release. But this utility hangs when I try it. We've determined, therefore, that the device is not getting an IP from the router. This was after two weeks of troubleshooting. This is why I did not go into too much detail in my OP.

I wanted to know why or what would cause the amber light on the Ethernet jack to not flash? That's why I was very specific in my question. I also wanted to know how to troubleshoot the device not getting an IP from a DHCP server.

So you are saying that the amber light indicates link activity. Therefore, if its not flashing I'm not getting a link to the router (yes, the LAN port is on the motherboard)? So how do I trouble shoot that? I've tried different router ports and cables.
    raj2160 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 01:09 PM
    The prior poster pretty much answered your question - no amber light (or link light) refers to a layer 1 or 2 problem (of the OSI) either caused by physical hardware (router ports, nic ports, mainboard ports) , cables, or negotiation mismatches including duplex and speed (though with these you can get link but you will see either input or output errors or collisions most times). If you're not getting it, DHCP is the least of your problems though if you think it's DHCP, you can always hook up a hub and sniff the DHCPDISCOVER, OFFER or REQUEST using Wireshark. The support for ver 1 included console access to the box using a modified serial cable. Since the box is essentially linux; if it does power on, then you can use ifconfig directly to see what is going on with the nic and if necessary hardcode an ip to see if it will help.
    Hardware Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 01:38 PM
    So you are saying that the amber light indicates link activity. Therefore, if its not flashing I'm not getting a link to the router...?
    Not exactly. Common implementations use flashing to indicate network activity. Solid indicates "link" meaning the motherboard port and the switch/router port have communicated parameters and established an Ethernet link. Off means no link. However, I don't see how the green light could be on to indicate link speed without the amber being on if these LED states applied to this board implementation.

So how do I trouble shoot that? I've tried different router ports and cables.
    If the router ports have LEDs to indicate link status, do any show link when the NAS is connected? A packet sniffer would also provide evidence of any traffic at all from the NAS.

Verification of the NAS port electrically would require an oscilloscope or network analyzer to confirm if link pulses or anything else is being generated. Might also check the port for debris and see if any of the contact wires are bent or out of their channels.
    raj2160 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Not exactly. Common implementations use flashing to indicate network activity. Solid indicates "link" meaning the motherboard port and the switch/router port have communicated parameters and established an Ethernet link. Off means no link. However, I don't see how the green light could be on to indicate link speed without the amber being on if these LED states applied to this board implementation.
    You can have a solid link without having an activity link (either green or amber); both usually point to a physical or negotiation problem.
    Hardware Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by raj2160 View Post
    You can have a solid link without having an activity link (either green or amber); both usually point to a physical or negotiation problem.
    Scott has a green light but no amber. A common implementation is green is link speed and amber is link/activity. I don't see how he'd be getting a green without the amber if that is the status light implementation this product uses.

Jan 10, 2010, 03:16 PM

I'm getting really desperate here. I have an old LINKSYS BEFSR41 wired router. I connected my T42 laptop (Win 7) to the router and it immediately picked up a IP. I then connected the Media Vault to the router. Lights on the router all came on, but the MV still shows only green flashing on the Ethernet port. I've changed ports, cables etc. No change. Works fine when connected to the laptop and nothing when connected to the MV.

Anyone with any clue why this happens?
    Hardware Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 07:57 PM
    Lights on the router all came on, but the MV still shows only green flashing on the Ethernet port.
    This is harder than it needs to be. The following has been established:
    1. DHCP is working, at least between the router and another client device. Assume router is functioning properly for the sake of progressing with troubleshooting or until further troubleshooting indicates otherwise.
    2. Both router port LEDs come on so the router thinks the MV connection has link. Believe it until it can be proven wrong and ignore the MV LEDs whose meanings aren't confirmed.

Next step, plop in a packet sniffer and see if the MV is generating any traffic at all.

Jan 10, 2010, 08:10 PM

I totally agree with 1 and 2.

Ok, so I try a packet sniffer. While I know what they are I have no experience with using one. So where do I get one and how do I use it?
    Hardware Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
    ...so I try a packet sniffer...So where do I get one and how do I use it?
    I like Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) distributed free under the GNU GPL, but there are others - see Wikipedia: Packet Anaylzer for some more. The basic gist of using it is install it on a laptop or computer and plug the computer into the network. Set the software to capture, turn the MV on and wait for it to do its thing, and then look at the captured packets for any with a MAC or hopefully IP source address of the MV. If you have several other devices on the network it may be helpful to unplug them while troubleshooting to reduce the quantity of packets being captured. Some devices tend to be chatty and generate excess packets that have to be ignored or filtered out while troubleshooting to be able to better focus on the packets of interest. Also given the nature of how switches work, if you don't see any packets, place the MV and the packet sniffer on a hub to facilitate seeing all the packets on the network. Probably won't be an issue, but something to be aware of.

Additional Info:
    Wikipedia: Wireshark

Jan 23, 2010, 06:30 AM

Wanted to update this for anyone interested.

The problem seems to have been a faulty power supply. Though the PS was giving enough power to turn on the fan and some lights, it seems there wasn't enough power for the network adapter.

The unit was receiving packets, but not sending them.

The issue was resolved by purchasing a used unit on E-Bay. I popped in my drives into this unit and plugged it into the network. I was able to view the data and copy it all onto another device. So I got everything back. I'm now working on different back up methods for multiple redundancy.
    Hardware Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 07:56 AM
    The problem seems to have been a faulty power supply. ...it seems there wasn't enough power for the network adapter.
    Grrr, hate it when the "problem" is only a symptom of the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My furnace won't light diagnostic light is green, & yhe thermostat says heat is on [ 1 Answers ]

Any ideas what's wrong it's a coleman mobile home furnace

Questions about amber gemstones [ 1 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me about amber, a type of semiprecious stone? Can it be cut and faceted like stones? Or can it be drilled like pearls? Is one color better or more desirable than others, what I've got is loose stones in a box that vary from almost clear, to varying rootbeer colors to some that are...

Green Blinking Light [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my computer's green power light keeps on blinking whenever I plug the power in and it won't turn on, but when I took it to the repair shop the repairman plugged it in and it booted fine. Then when I took it back home and plugged it in again the green light blinks and it won't turn on, so I...

Loose Amber [ 10 Answers ]

About ten years ago, my Dad brought me a small trinket box full of loose amber from one of his trips to South America. There are about 50 stones with small holes for stringing onto a necklace. Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these pieces? I'm not all that crafty and don't want to...

Amber color 7-up bottle [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the value of a amber color 7-up bottle made in knoxville, TN.

View more questions Search