Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aok Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Tenant moved in and won't sign a lease
    I have a tenant that moved in and then would not sign a lease or pay deposit. The property is far from where I live and I allowed the person to move in on a weekend and then he was suppose to go to a realestate office sign lease and pay deposit. However he has not done so and it has been over a month now. Makes excuse after excuse why he can't pay the deposit. Thus he is in the property with no written lease and I have no deposit. What steps to I have to follow to evict.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 09:55 AM

What State? It varies from State to State.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2010, 12:48 PM

He is now renting on a month to month basis and after he destroys your rental, you have no deposit.

So my first thought is what were you thinking, and it is obvious you are not in business doing this. This is why you hire and use a real estate agent to do this, and you don't even get invovled.

So now you give them a 30 day notice ( assuming they have paid rent) to move, and just evict them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2010, 02:23 PM

The eviction process varies by location. I could never understand why a person would ask such a question without giving a general area.

As Chuck said, without a written lease he's month to month tenant. Depending on where the rental is you may be able give 30 days notice, or you may have to give one full rental period. If the rental period is a calendar month and its not Jan 3 you may not be able to require he vacate prior to Mar 1.

Now you need to have someone regular check the apartment to see if he hasn't trashed it. You also need to check references or make sure you can go after him if he leaves the place a wreck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CAN a New Landlord Evict An old tenant if they don't sign a new lease [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know the Florida state law behind the landlord of my property selling the property to a new owner without notifying the tenants till after the transaction has taken place, now the place has been sold the new landlord gives us the option to either sign a new lease and pay 225 more...

Is lease binding if Tenant did not sign [ 3 Answers ]

The landlord didn't have me sign the lease because he did not bring a duplicate copy for my records. He was to return with additional copy to complete signing. This never happened. I now wish to move, and I pay monthly. This means I have a verbal month to month lease right? Can the landlord...

Landlord rights-tenant will not sign lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Tennessee,and my renter will not sign a lease.What rights do I have?

Supplemential lease after rental agreement signed and tenant moved in [ 1 Answers ]

I live in FL. I moved in 28 days ago and signed a rental agreement for a year. The landlord presented a supplemential lease with additional terms ( some extreme) for me to sign today, I refused. The landlord said to take these terms and sign or leave. I know this is illegal; but I don't know what...

When is the proper time to let a tenant sign a lease. [ 4 Answers ]

Help!! My husband and I have decided to rent our home. We found renters back in October. My husband handled everything. (Sort of.) Against my approval he let them sign the lease by only giving us half the deposit, not including having first months rent! We were first time landlords and they...

View more questions Search