Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eve3707 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 08:33 AM
    When do you need to file a state tax return?
    I am a single mother in Florida and, it seems, that single parents are the prime targets for tax preparers!. so, I've decided to save a buck (in this case, 500 of them) and do it myself.

My question is simply this: WHEN do I have to file a state return?

Thanks, eve
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 08:39 AM

April 15th, same as IRS taxes.

$500 to prepare a single income tax return in Florida? Wow!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 08:40 AM

State tax return for what? Florida has no income tax... are you referring to another type of state tax return?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    State tax return for what? Florida has no income tax ... are you referring to another type of state tax return?

That was my understanding, too, but Florida does have a web site addressing the ins and outs of Florida Tax Returns, a site which states that the date is April 15th. Welcome to the Florida Department of Revenue web site

In some instances returns must be filed. OP refers to past returns and I am assuming (which can be a mistake) that she falls into a category which must report income and pay taxes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 03:33 PM
    $500 for an individual tax return fee?

The ONLY way you pay that much is if you allow the tax preparer to scam you with the Refund Anticipation Loan (RAL), which is a rip-off by any other name.

Avoid the RAL and you should pay no more than $150, and then only if you own a home and sold some stocks.

If you do not own a home on which you are paying a mortgage, email me at [email protected] and I guarantee that my fee will be MUCH less than $100.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to file for State Tax return? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student on an F-1 visa from india. I earned around $3000 in the 2004 calendar year. I will file for my Federal Tax returns, but do I need to file for my State tax too? I live in New York City, but my income was under the $7500 quota for a single individual. It is my...

Do I need to file state tax return too? [ 2 Answers ]

I make usually around $7,000-8,000 a yr part time (student) and last yr made about $12,000 here in GA. I have filed an EZ every year and get my refund every year, but people keep talking about their state refunds and I thought that it was all one, since you report all of your W-2 info on the EZ,...

Do I need to file a state tax return for CA? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked in CA for half the year and in NY for the other half of the year, and earned $1668 in CA. do I need to file a state tax return for CA? On my tax forms would I consider myself a resident of NY or CA? I've been living in NY for 9 months, but I previously lived in CA for 4 years (during...

Do I need to file a state income tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

If I & my spouse are classified as US residents, but live 10 months. Of the year in another country receiving pay from a state in the US, do we need to file a state income tax return, or only a federal income tax?

Do I file a state tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-G from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions because I received unemployment benefits in 2007. This was the only form of income I received last year. There were no state income taxes withheld so my question is, do I need to file a state tax return? I'm sure the...

View more questions Search