Ask
    kitty_girl_07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 03:08 PM
    Concentration
    How do I calculate concentartion?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 15, 2006, 03:12 PM
    This should point you in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    concentration con‧cen‧tra‧tion  /ˌkɒnsənˈtreɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kon-suhn-trey-shuhn] :
    6. Chemistry. (in a solution) a measure of the amount of dissolved substance contained per unit of volume.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Nov 15, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

In chemistry, concentration is oftentimes given in molarity. (abbreviated M)

Molarity refers to the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. For example, if I have 1 liter of a solution that contains 2.5 moles of a substance dissolved in it, it would be a 2.5 molar solution or 2.5 M.

Molarity = moles of solute ÷ liters of solution

Remember that the solute is the substance that gets dissolved and solution is both the solute and solvent together.

To calculate this you need to make sure that you are dealing with the correct units.

For example, say you are given the following information...

35 g of NaCl are dissolved in enough water to create 750 mL liters of solution. What is the concentration?

You first have to convert the grams NaCl to moles NaCl and the mL to L.

This would be 0.5989 mol NaCl and 0.750 L

By dividing moles by liters we get a concentration of 0.7985 M.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 01:49 AM
    its simply the amount of moles of a substance per volume of solvent. In my country, the volume of the solvent is dm^3 though compared to rudi_in which is in litres. Therefore you just have to work out the number moles of the solute divided by the volume of the solvent. I hope this was helpful. If you need examples, there are already one above (and a copy! )

Oh I almost forgot. You can find answers to your question by having a look completely down the window "similar asked questions".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Amount, Volume, and Concentration [ 2 Answers ]

You are given a container with 5 mL of a solution containing 5.1 ×10^3 cells/mL. You are to produce a solution that contains approximately 100 cells/mL. I really need help solving this problem, it's a serial dilutions problem, but I'm confused about solving it!

Concentration... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, My problem is that I can only sit to study a particular subject for around 15 minutes. What I mean is... suppose I take a biology lesson which I have to complete learning within 2 hours. Now as I start studying... I'll learn for say around 15 minutes without many thoughts coming to my...

View more questions Search