Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkstein Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 02:54 PM
    How is child support $ determined?
    My husband and I live in Texas and are curious how is the amount of child support determined?

Per my previous post we are assuming that an all out war is about to commence with his ex if we pursue collection for her violation of the divorce decree and we are having to pay for her debts. We are taking custody of his children and we are trying to determine if it is worth going after her for the money or just let it go to avoid any hassles in the future if she gets custody of the girls back for some reason.

When they divorced they lived in a small town and subsequently earned small town wages. My husband has since taken a job working offshore to make more money; however, his ex never petitioned for more money... we just gave it to her because her and her husband were always broke because they are not very responsible with their money. Sorry sidebar there...

Combined we do very well and she could do VERY well if she were to keep the children and take him back to court... or so we think... and why I am posting this question. We are not sure how the amount is determined. Is it determined on both of our incomes? If it is just his income is it based on a 40hr work week? As I said earlier he works offshore and his deal is he is paid ~$15/hr but when he is offshore he gets paid for 23 hr a day... on a good/busy year we can clear a good sum of money, but it is not consistent.
    gamma11402 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 03:12 PM
    From what I know from my very past experience in Wisconsin is this... Depending on how many children there are; 17% of his gross wages for one child, 25% of his gross wages for two children, 37% for three or more...

Nov 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
    How is that done? One month he could make ~$2400 and the very next $7300. It all depends on the activity offshore.

Would they take past years and average out the gross?

Thanks for the response!
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 16, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nkstein
    My husband and I live in Texas and are curious how is the amount of child support determined?

Per my previous post we are assuming that an all out war is about to commence with his ex if we pursue collection for her violation of the divorce decree and we are having to pay for her debts. We are taking custody of his children and we are trying to determine if it is worth going after her for the money or just let it go to avoid any hassles in the future if she gets custody of the girls back for some reason.

When they divorced they lived in a small town and subsequently earned small town wages. My husband has since taken a job working offshore to make more money; however, his ex never petitioned for more money....we just gave it to her because her and her husband were always broke because they are not very responsible with their money. Sorry sidebar there...

Combined we do very well and she could do VERY well if she were to keep the children and take him back to court...or so we think....and why I am posting this question. We are not sure how the amount is determined. Is it determined on both of our incomes? If it is just his income is it based on a 40hr work week? As I said earlier he works offshore and his deal is he is paid ~$15/hr but when he is offshore he gets paid for 23 hr a day....on a good/busy year we can clear a good sum of money, but it is not consistent.
    In Texas it is 20 percent for one child and 25 percents for 2 children. However, Texas is one of the few states has has a "cap" so no matter how much is made the most per month is 1500.00 per month for 2 children. (My ex makes 430k a year and owns his own company). It is only based on the biological parents income not the step parents income. I know this- because it is my reality and I live in Texas- Tarrant County. Go to the Texas attorney generals web site they have a chart. If he is under contract and considered "self employed" then tax deductions are considered before taking the percentages for the children.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Generally child support is based on the previous two years' tax returns. This shows an average of earnings over the long term. Is the ex aware of his higher earnings as a result of his new job? If you have custody you can go after her for child support. Of course, be prepared for the tide to turn if she ever gets custody back. OF course, courts usually don't like to play musical chairs with kids. If you provide a stable, healthy home for them it's unlikely that she'd ever get back custody. That said, you can have her pay child support to you and your husband.

Nov 19, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Generally child support is based on the previous two years' tax returns. This shows an average of earnings over the long term. Is the ex aware of his higher earnings as a result of his new job? If you have custody you can go after her for child support. Of course, be prepared for the tide to turn if she ever gets custody back. OF course, courts usually don't like to play musical chairs with kids. If you provide a stable, healthy home for them it's unlikely that she'd ever get back custody. That said, you can have her pay child support to you and your husband.
    S_Cianci his ex is aware of the extra income and has not gone after us for more child support, against her husbands many requests, because we go over and beyond what is necessary and she would more than likely be worse off. My husband gave more than was required and we would help them out from time to time financially when they are in need and buy all the girls clothes and school activity requirements. So she has left it alone.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS!! WE GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Well she's probably leaving well enough alone, knowing that if she creates any further hassles for you you won't give her a cent above and beyond what you're required to pay. Actually she's being a wise woman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child Support [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the state of Virginia. In 2003 a child support order was established with spousal support and in 2004 CSE became involved because my ex was not paying appropiately and was in arears of $6,000 +. They garnished and put a lien on his property. He has gotten current in the last two months with...

Child support [ 1 Answers ]

I Lived In Illinios Until 2003 I Moved Up Here To Wisconsin, Of Course My Ex Lived Here To Which We Have Two Daughters Together. He Had Not Seen His Daughters In 10 Years. Of Course Not Paid Child Support In Those 10 Years. I Had An Order Out Of Kendall County Ill Were My Divorce Was Filed. It...

View more questions Search