Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gcmlfm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
    Setting honda camshaft to tdc
    I replaced the timing belt on a my 2003 Honda Accord V6. Before removing the belt, the crank was at TDC and the camshaft marks were aligned properly. In reinstalling the timing belt, I was very careful to not disturb the camshafts or the crank, and verified their original positions. (However, I did NOT manually turn the engine several rotations.) The timing belt went on correctly, and the tensioner held everything tightly. Once reassembled, the engine started but ran VERY rough. I thought I had a bad spark plug connection, but all checked out. When trying to restart... nothing. So I tore everything down again. When the crank was set to TDC, the camshafts were several teeth off the mark! What happened? Can the camshafts be safely turned to realign the marks with the crank at TDC? Any recommendations would be appreciated!
    eyecue Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jan 2, 2010, 08:39 PM

You can set the crank to TDC with the belt on, then you take the belt loose and set the cams to same. IF you do it the other way you might have a problem.

Jan 2, 2010, 08:43 PM

Thanks. I did set the crank first before removing the belt. I tried moving the camshafts, however, they seemed difficult to move and I did not want to force it. Is this normal?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 08:53 PM

In the future, it's best to place a mark (e.g. Whiteout or white paint) on each pulley and corresponding point on the side of the old timing belt, before removing. Then, remove old belt, transfer marks exactly to new belt, and reinstall with confidence.

Was the engine set to TDC on the compression stroke?

Jan 2, 2010, 09:04 PM

Yes. It was set on the compression stroke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 Honda Accord TDC Sensor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Honda Accord LX 2.2L sedan with an annoying little problem. The check engine light is on and the motor will absolutely not rev past 3500RPM despite the fact that it should be able to hit 6500RPM during hard acceleration (passing cars, fast 0-60, etc.) and exceed 3500RPM at speeds...

1997 Honda Accord TDC code [ 7 Answers ]

I changed the head on my motor. Timing belt was replace with a new one. Put everything back together and cranked it. Didn't want to crank over so found out my timing was off by 3 teeth. Redid and car started but rough. When reversing car tries to turn off. Then when driving, it drives okay but when...

Setting the camshaft and crankshaft the most quick way.is it possible [ 1 Answers ]

Can I set the crankshaft and camshaft for alignment by rotating the wheel front in a driver side (jacked) note: that the shifting lever is at 5th gear Thanks!

TDC Timing Marks for 1987 2.0 Honda Accord [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having troble locatong the correct timing mark on the crankshaft of my Honda. Can somebody offer me some helpful hints and or advice

View more questions Search