Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Best Tye of Carpet for Interior Stairs
    What is the best type of carpet for interior steps? From reading online I know that I want a dense carpet that has a low pile. Can anyone give more specifics?

The steps I'm covering are oak with a rounded nose on the edge of the tread. I really like the way the carpet looks on the stairs below, but I don't know what kind of carpet it is.
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 02:53 PM

I would have to say Berber would be an excellent choice for stairs. It is a dense heavy twist, stands up to wear and tear. Can't tell what you have there from your pic. I have Berber throughout, no stairs, but if I did, that would it.

Tick
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 3, 2010, 10:39 AM

Yep that looks like a patterned berber in the photos and as tick pointed out berber does hold up well. Good luck AC

Feb 20, 2010, 03:08 PM

Okay so I've done some more research and talked to a few carpet guys. I am going to go with a cut pile carpet because I now have a teething puppy. I'm afraid that if I go with a berber or another looped pile, the puppy might mess it up.

I've also been told that the carpet's density should be 4000 or higher. I have narrowed my choices down to two carpets. There is one with a density of 4200 for about $5/sqft. The other one has a density of 3800 for about $3/sqft. Both prices include the cost of the best pad they have.

Do you think there is going to be a big quality difference between the 3800 density and the 4200 density when it comes to using them on stairs?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 05:13 PM

Your puppy will not be able to get his teeth into berber, it is too low and too dense. But why would you give him the opportunity to do that. None of my dogs has ever been given that chance to rip apart my hard earned money.

It took you long enough to get around to these answers. Were you not interested enough to read some of them ?

If you have all that money to disperse, then get your information from the whoever is supplying your carpet. If that's what I am paying for, then that's who I ask.

Tick

Feb 20, 2010, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post

It took you long enough to get around to these answers. Were you not interested enough to read some of them ?

If you have all that money to disperse, then get your information from the whoever is supplying your carpet. If thats what I am paying for, then thats who I ask.

tick
    Just because I didn't respond immediately doesn't mean that I did not read the replies to my question as soon as they were posted. I appreciate it when anyone from this forum answers one of my questions, just like I appreciate your info about my puppy not chewing through the carpet.

I am pretty handy and I'm used to doing almost all the work on my house. Depending on the job, there are times when I would prefer to hire a professional because I think they will do a better job. However, that does not mean I will blindly trust any installer. That's why I, like hundreds of other people, come to this site. We come to improve our knowledge base to either do the job ourselves or to make sure we know enough so that we don't get ripped off by someone posing as a professional.
    argyleeyes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 10:05 PM
    My dog pulled up the loops in berber carpet in two different houses. I really liked my berber carpet - but don't let anyone tell you that a dog can pull it up!
    argyleeyes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 10:08 PM
    Opps - I mean don't let anyone tell you a dog Can't pull it up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Outside stairs [ 2 Answers ]

I need some idea's on using concrete blocks for stairs outside

Rad up stairs are hot down stairs are cold [ 3 Answers ]

I have a standard boiler 3way valve and pumped system. Up stairs 4 rads all working fine, down stairs I have three cold rads. Pump sounds like its working

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

Concrete Stairs [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in pouring concrete 'pyramid-like' stairs. I would prefer to do this one stair at a time. How long should I wait for the first stair to cure before I pour another? Thank You

View more questions Search