Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traggle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 03:32 PM
    Door hinge coming undone
    The bottom hinge is fine but the top hinge is hanging off despite me regularly tightening the screws. The door is a heavy interior one and I think the screws have nothing to grip so I'm assuming I need to take the hinge off and fill it or resite it or something. Help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 04:07 PM

Try a toothpick in the hole, break flush and insert screw. One at a time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2010, 05:10 PM

Another alternative is Plastic Wood. You can find it in most hardware stores.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 03:40 AM

Plastic anchor. Drill out existing hole slightly if necessary.
    dom12 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 07:20 AM

Try using Longer screws
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 3, 2010, 06:49 PM

All may work to limited success but I'd go with the longer screws. Get a set of screws long enough to reach through the door frame and get into the framing of the door opening, maybe a 3" screw.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 07:08 AM

And if you hit concrete, maybe use Long TapCons.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jan 9, 2010, 03:00 PM

Is the problem on the door jamb or the door? If the jamb use longer screws. If the door and it's a solid wood door use longer screws. If it's a hollow core door use plastic anchors and larger longer screws. Tooth picks and wood glue will work also.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 03:06 PM

Since this is a heavy door I think long screws will hold the weight. Tooth picks, glue and plastic anchors ask the jam to carry the full load but the stud frame will better carry a heavy load, use 3+" screws
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 08:02 PM

Most interior hinges have 3 places for screws. As mention a long screw through the hinge and jamb into the wall framing will hold the heavy door. However, this will only work on the center screw hole. On the other two screw holes, normally they are lined up with where the drywall is, so you won't hit any framing with those two holes. Use a glue and a golf tee to fill those holes. This will fix the stripped screw holes.
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2010, 10:12 AM

EZHangDoor & ballengerb1 are correct.
    Just besure not to over tighten the 3" screw or you will pull your door out of wack & or damage your door casing.You can also align your door with the screw if the gap is out.
    Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Activate self closing door hinge [ 4 Answers ]

I have a door with 2 IMP self closing hinges on it but the door didn't come with them activated on it and I can't figure out how to get it I have the tools I just can't figure it out Thanks

Removing door hinge screws. [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing my interior doors (12) with new ones including the brass hinges. They are the original ones in an 18 year old house. The doors are removed, but the hinges on the house frame side are stubborn to remove. That is, the wood screws are stuck in there. I believe they are brass and are...

Coming undone [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 40. I have been battleing my weight for 20 years. I have always been either losing or gaining. Down 40 up 20, down 10 up 30... Today I am 40 pounds overweight again. I don't eat regular food anymore. I don't want 3 meals a day. I only want to eat anything bad for me. It is like I am purposely...

Adjusting tension in a door hinge. [ 1 Answers ]

How do you adjust the tension in the door hinges on the door going from the house into the garage?

Removing a self closing door hinge [ 2 Answers ]

I want to temporarily remove a self-closing door hinge (to install a dog door). Is there an easy way to do this without removing one half of the hinge from the door or jam (like removing the pins on standard hinges)? There are a couple of allen screws in the unit (one on top, one on the bottom of...

View more questions Search