Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdzierniejko Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Potlights -- Old Casings
    I live in a building that was convered into lofts about 20 years ago. In the kitchen there are four potlights. The potlights have 6" openings. The bulbs look like mini-spotlights (I assume they and the potlight housing units are quite old). There are no baffles/covers on the potlights, so you can see around the bulbs into the casing itself. It is quite ugly. I would like to update this look. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Can I simply purchase baffles / covers and replace the bulbs with something sleeker that provides better light? Thanks in advance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 07:03 AM
    Seems you have recess lighting housings without any trims. If you look inside you may find a manufacturers label to help identify the make and model number of the housing and possibly a list of trims and lamps the housing it can handle.

Even if you can just identify the brand, you should be able to find trims of the same brad to add to your housings and complete the fixture.
    rdzierniejko Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 03:41 PM
    Thanks. I picked up some trims/bulbs. The bulbs are "Philips Energy Saver Reflector Flood R30 Dimmable". When I flip the lightswitch, they flicker for a few second and gradually come on. Is this normal? Are there better bulbs I should be using? Thanks again.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 06:27 AM
    Assuming the new lamps are compact fluorescent lamps, most do flicker a bit under normal operation.

I caution you to be sure your dimmer can handle these lamps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create a vapour barrier around potlights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 or 8 inch vapour barrier box and a seven inch potlight. Do I need to build a wooden support for the vapour barrier box to prevent it from touching the potlight? How can I install a vapour barrier around a potlight?

How to trim bottom door casings for tile [ 13 Answers ]

I been wondering which saw be it manual or motor powered is the best for cutting existing door moldings at the bottom to compensate for the extra thickness of a new floor such as hardwood flooring or bathroom projects using hardibacker,new tile? To date, I've used a sawsall with a long fine tooth...

Replacing Interior door casings! [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am currently renovating my flat and definitely want to get rid of the ex-council any wood will do look ;) I want to rip out all of the wood inside the flat, skirting boards, archatrive and door casings. Basically I want to take it back to bricks and plaster and replace with all new...

Fitting door casings [ 2 Answers ]

We put 3/4 inch tongue and groove pine on the walls of our new cabin. Now we want to put up 1 x 4 pine for the door casings. The problem is that the door frames were made to use 1/2 inch wallboard so the tongue and groove stick out too far to make a nice fit. Any suggestions?

My oudoor potlights are not turning off during daylight hours [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Outdoor Potlight Which Are Controlled By A Photo Sensor. Lately The Potlights Have Not Been Turning Off During The Daylight Hours. It Would Appear That The Potlights Turn Off Earlier When It Is Overcast Than Sunny Bright. What Is Wrong With My Sensor?

View more questions Search