Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ankara55t Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Absorbing or liberating energy
    In the dissociation of NaOH into Na+(aq) and OH-(aq) ions, a process that absorbs energy, how is it that, in the end, heat is given off?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Hi, ankara55t!

Are you looking for a direct answer to your question, or how to come up with the answer yourself, please?

If it's the former, please click on the following link to read the announcement there.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...-b-u-font.html

Thanks!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 10:57 PM

What the specific details occurring in there?

First, breaking of bonds of NaOH:

If you think that it is strange to go to the gas state, think about the delta H lattice. It is formed from two gaseous ions which combine to form a solid ionic compound releasing heat. Well, this inverse lattice absorbs heat.

Then, there is heat of hydration. Here, the definition is the energy involved when one mole of a gaseous ions dissolve in a solvent. Since bonds are created between the ions and the water molecules here, heat is released.

And, heat of solution is equal to heat of inverse lattice added to heat of hydration;

Or, since the heat of lattice is the negative of heat of inverse lattice;

I hope it helped! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In need of energy [ 13 Answers ]

All right here is the problem. My boyfriend's mother has been feeling really down, depressed, and pretty damn low on the energy scale. Is there anything she can take to bring up her energy? She does not want to take any anti depressants, energy drinks, or energy shots. She wants some sort of "all...

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

No energy. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 38 and I always feel slugish, I lack energy and just want to sleep all day if I don't drink coffee or take a pill like presciption diet pills. Since I was 27, I've relied on diet pills and coffee to have energy. I've tried many times to do without coffee or pills but all I want to do is sleep...

Energy [ 2 Answers ]

Is the decomposition of gaseous dinitrogen pentoxide to gaseous nitrogen dioxide and oxygen exothermic or endothermic? How much energy is released or consumed if 11.0g of nitrogen pentoxide is completely decomposed as described?

View more questions Search