Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellabellabella Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Bella
    Hello... I am having a similar problem with my 10 week only Boston Terrier. Because we live in Canada, it is too cold for her to go outside so we are doing the paper training. She has done so very well with peeing... we are doing all the suggested things... praising, treating... we have her on a schedule (as close as possible for a puppy)... and we can somewhat identify when she needs to poo... sniffing, timing, etc. The problem is she just doesn't want to go on the paper... she almost refuses too. We try to keep her in the kitchen until she has done her business... then we let her have more access to the rest of the house... at this point she is whining and whining at the door to get to the rest of the house where she wants to poo... what can we do? As soon as she gets a opportunity she will do her business elsewhere... that could be hours later. She is so good and so well behaved otherwise.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 12:32 PM

Where in Canada do you live? All our dogs go outside, when it's cold they just pee faster. :P

What is your method for training her to go on paper?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 1, 2010, 12:53 PM

I would say that you should not start the habit of having your kitchen the poo spot. You are going to want to turn that behavior around almost immediately. LIKE RIGHT NOW.
    Sariss is correct, she willo just go that much faster. Walking is also a great remedy for teaching the poo outside. Walks are a great time for them to poo.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 07:05 PM

My dogs have a coat similar to the one below for going outside in the cold.

For a 10 week ols pup you may have to make one yourself but they are actually really easy.

All you need is some nice warm material, a needle and thread and some velcro.

Let me know if you would like the pattern I use for dog coats and I will post it.

Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2010, 12:35 AM

Winter time is never an easy time to house train a puppy. I'm not a big fan of paper training a young puppy as an alternative to going outside. Do you plan on having your dog potty outside? Or do you not mind them going potty on the papers in your house?

When I got my little pittie pup it was in the dead of Jan... and I live in the Mtns... I went out with her every time and stood in the cold.

There are solutions to the paper training. Some dogs just don't go on the papers... Maybe looking into the potty pads would be more easier for you guys... https://www.petzoompetpark.com/?MID=609052 My only problem with paper training young dogs, is they will learn that its OK to potty in the house. Think to yourself if you want to have your dog potty in your house a couple years from now. I have experience with my first dog who we did paper train as a puppy. She would potty in the house all the time... and it was always in the area the potty pads were.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 04:59 AM

I'm with Lucky on this one. The papers were originally supposed to be for accidents, not intentional potties. A walk, on a leash, a few minutes to half an hour after eating is good for training the dog to walk on a leash, going potty, and good for you too. Even if it's 15 below, you two can take a ten minute turn around the garden.

Jan 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
    Wow... thanks for all the responses. I live in London, Ontario. It can very easily get -15C and colder with the wind chill. I definitely don't want her potting in the house 2 years from now. That would be a disaster! I have read that Boston Terriers are sensitive to extreme weather conditions... I guess I assumed that meant not go out at all.
    Just by chance we were out today trying on coats. She couldn't walk in them. She was tipping over! It was a warm bulky coat but I figured that is what she needed. And the booties... I can't even get them on her paws. By the way, I haven't had a dog since I was a kid and I am now 48... so I am very, very, new to this.

Jan 2, 2010, 02:03 PM

Oh, and by the way... the snow is deeper than her height!
    I would like the patterns for a dog coat... I guess I better get making one and get my little Bella outside.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 02:14 PM

Bella, I live in Alberta, it can easily get to -30C here and all three of my dogs go outside to potty. The youngest is a beagle and he hates the cold, doesn't have a thick coat.

It was harder to potty train him because we got him last year in October and it was already cold then. He didn't like it, it took longer, but he learned. You just have to be consistent.

I do have to say, Old Navy has dog coats for a very reasonable price. Take a look at their website, you can even order them online, if you know your dogs size.

Also, this is the perfect age to get him used to booties. That's the major problem with our dogs, their feet get cold long before the rest of them does. Getting a dog used to booties requires a lot of patience, praise, repetition and a great sense of humor. ;)

Never ever introduce something new by just grabbing the dog and putting it on. Start with just showing the object you want to incorporate. Let her sniff, let her explore, lots of praise and treats if she doesn't just run away.

After a few days of just sniffing and exploring, try putting on one of the booties. If she struggles, leave it alone for another day.

Remember to stay calm. Even if you don't feel like you're getting anywhere, remain calm and assertive.

She's only 10 weeks old, this is a great age to teach her what you expect of her, but remember, she is a dog, everything you're teaching her goes against her nature, she has to learn that this is the way things are.

Jan 2, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Thanks! Well I just failed the first test. I went out again to get something for her to wear. I bought the booties but put them on her as soon as she got in... she hated it! She was shivering. I will try over the next few days. The coat part, I just pick up some human leg warmers and that seems to work. Of course I did the wrong thing by putting it on right away but it fits and looks much better. She can actually walk and the leg warmer around the neck will work as a scarf/hat. The belts, zippers, and buttons just don't work for her. I will slowly try to adjust her to it and get her outside. Thanks for your help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 05:09 PM

You didn't fail, so no worries. Dogs are very eager to please, they just have to be shown what we expect. The main thing is patience and remembering that they are dogs, always dogs, not humans. You're asking her to go against her doggy instinct, but, with repetition and lots of love, she'll learn.

Even with patience a lot of dogs never get used to booties. They don't feel natural. The main thing is to introduce everything new slowly, wait until she's calm, accepting of something new, used to the object, confident that you're not doing something to hurt her. It's give and take.

When you do get around to putting a bootie on her, have treats on hand. A treat before you put it on. A treat while you're putting it on and treats while she's wearing the bootie. You want to associate the bootie with something good. Bootie equals treats and praise. Not bootie equals grabbing and forcing.

Wait a few days before you try again.

Also, we love pictures. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 07:58 PM

Here's the pattern I use for dog coats...
    It nothing fancy but it does the job and you can make it in about 5-10 minutes.

I love making my own as opposed to buying them because you can make them out of any fabric in any color you like!

(Sorry about the bad drawing, I rushed it a bit!)
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search