Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnnyland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 12:22 PM
    My girlfriend wants to break up with me because I am leaving for college next year
    I am a senior in High school and my Girlfriend is 16. We have been dating for about 4 monthes now and fallen in love with each other. But the fact that I will be leaving for college next year (3 hours away or more depending what school I go to) gives us both second thoughts about our relationship. My approach is to say "Lets enjoy the time we have together" because that is what I truly want. She on the other hand is scared of being heartbroken when I leave for college and feels it would be less painful to end it now. Although I feel there is some truth in that, she makes me happy and I love being with her. We have discussed the possibility of keeping our relationship when I go off to college, but she doesn't want to do that, and I am not sure if I would either. She feels that it is not fair to either of us having a long distance relationship like that. Since the duration of our relationship this conversation always comes up and at first I feel like she pushes away from me, but I am useually able to calm her down and bring her back. These discussions are emotionally damaging to me and I useually try to avoid them with her because we have talked about me leaving next year and the realities of it. So to simplify my question, is it right to break up with her now, even though we are in love? Or should we keep it lasting until I go off for college and have it potentionally more damaging because we have become even more close and more attached than we already were?
    fibertechs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 12:52 PM

Here's a few thoughts:

Now I've been married 27 years. I rencently told my wife " Honey, I've been thinking I am getting too attached to you and maybe we should break up now because if you die or something I'll be heart broken and lost " Was that a good idea? No. Why leave somenoe you love so you don't get hurt later?

If you or the girl are interested in meeting and dating other people in college perhaps you should cut it off. It is very important to maintain integrity in a relationship and fooling around will ruin it.

My son who is attending Penn State University recently asked my wife about whether to end a one and a half year relationship that has because stressful with a lot of arguing. She told him that its all right to take a break from each other for a while staying true and seeing if things cool down. She said if the girl is really yours she'll come back to you.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 1, 2010, 12:57 PM

Your position is an intereesting one, however your question of letting her go is simply answered by the fact that she wants you to let her go. She clearly isn't interested in having a long distance relationship and she is letting you know that. If she wants this space you have to let her go. Space and time will solve it. As stated above if it is meant to be it will work itself out.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 04:44 PM
    She's already told you she wants to break up, so why drag it out? It's obvious that she wants to be able to date others while you're gone and I can appreciate that. She's young and shouldn't sit home while life passes her by. You also need to get out and have a good time while you're in college.

Try to think positive about it. Use this separation to your advantage. She just opened up a world of opportunity for you. Take this time to come back to yourself; spend time with friends you love who you may not have had that much time for during the run of your relationship; get back into activities you enjoy that you’ve put on the backburner; take up a fun new hobby; expand your social circle and make new fun, friends; and of course, date, date and oh yes, DATE! This can be a great time for you if you just look at the situation you’ve been dealt with optimistic eyes. :)
    johnnyland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks guys these are all helpful pieces of advice, Although there are many suggestions flying around saying that I should end it, I have ebeen thinking about it and mabey the best time to end it would be my last day before I go off to college?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 05:41 PM

Actually the best time to end it, is when it ends, OK only 3 hours away, 1 1/2 to meet half way, there is no reason it has to even end, unless the two of you are not willing to work on it.

Sounds like it is or has ended for her, if she is ready to say quit already
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 07:57 PM
    I think she knows this will end any way, so she is ready now, and you should let her go. When a female isn't willing to take chances, and risks for you then no matter what she says, she ain't that much in love with you.

Her actions speak much louder than her words.
    lokismama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 05:11 AM
    I`m having the same troubles with my senior boyfriend who is basically hinting to me that he wants to dump me. He is terrified of leaving me and I don't know what to do to keep him from dumping me. Were both deeply in love and I don't understand why he would want to dump me just cause of long distance. Long distance is a hard thing to deal with but its totally okay if you just try to keep in contact and it really depends on how much you love each other. Don't dump her if you love her so much. There's no reason to. It will only make you really upset and leave you with heartache.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend wants to break up to "Experience College" [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I'll give you the story: I've been dating this girl for 6 months. We are just graduating high school and she is going to college 11 hours away from me. She is rather wealthy and will be spending most of the summer abroad on shopping trips, so we won't see each other much this summer. ...

My girlfriend for a year and 8 months ask for a break but she loves me ? [ 2 Answers ]

I meet this girl on myspace and we talk and then I ask her out she deny me 11 times but I kept on asking and on christmas day she said yes. We meet up at the mall but when we 1st meet their was no love it was like we are just boyfriend and girlfriend. She was a virgin and I was a popular athlete...

Girlfriend of a year and a half wanting to break up! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys, just joined and would appreciate any help that can be given! Me and my girlfriend have been together for a year and a half now, and while we have argued a lot, we always make up really quickly afterwards, usually by latest an hour after said argument. About December time she became...

My long distance girlfriend wantes to break up after 1 year and a half [ 10 Answers ]

Well it all started a year and half ago. I was 21 and she was 18. We met over a friends house. She chased after me and we evetnually started dating and were happy. We didn't see that we had much in common at first and almost broke up after a month but we stuck through it and grew really close in...

Me and my girlfriend of 1 year are on a break is it going to work out? [ 5 Answers ]

Well it starts like this me and my girlfriend have been in a relationship pretty much the longest one I have ever been in also the longest one she has ever been in she was my first for almost everything we also for the whole year hardly ever fought but after we hit the one year mark it seemed like...

View more questions Search