Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leslie1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Radon in apartment
    I live in Columbus Ohio. My landlord is selling the apartment complex I live in. Of course I had to find out from someone else he was selling it. Because he only told a couple tenants because he didn't want the rest of us to move else where. Is that illegal to not inform the tenants that their apartment is being sold? Also my apartment tested positive for high levels of radon. He refuses to solve the problem. Leally what can I do about these problems?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Leslie
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
    What you experience is typical. When a place is for sale, we generally don't tell the tenants until right before the closing.

I am not positive about the radon issue as I've not come across it yet - and I don't find it discussed in my Ohio Landlord Tenant Law book... but to be sure, contact the City Code Enforcement people
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2006, 11:05 AM
    As Rick said, there is no reason to let you know, especially if it's a large complex. The only things you need to know is who to pay rent to and who to contact for maintenance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Yes I will agree, tennants are normally not told (unless there is a large for sale sign in the front) because a full apartment sells easier and for more money than one with empty units.

The new owner will have to honor your current lease or rental agreement and can only make changes when they come up for renewal. So who the owner is not really the issue, unless you rented just because so and so owned it.

I will admit stuipity on the radon issue myself, I can not find any specific codes on it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie1
    Also my apartment tested positive for high levels of radon. He refuses to solve the problem.
    Hello leslie:

Who did the testing? Why? If the landlord did, then there must have been some previous problems. Then if he found high levels in your apartment, he'd have to remove it. If he doesn't, call the county health department.

But, I'll bet you did the testing yourself. I did some reading, since you brought it up. Radon is bad stuff. If the landlord isn't doing anything, you can't wait around for the legal process to work. For your own health and safety, move.

Write a letter to the landlord. Send it certified, return receipt requested. Tell your landlord that your home is uninhabitable, and you are moving immediately.

If you didn't move upon finding high levels of radon in your apartment, maybe you didn't believe the test results, or you didn't read the same stuff I did.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New apartment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to move in to a new studio (one room apartment) in couple of months and I really want To make it look good witout using a lot of money. I've looked at some examples in magazines and I Wonder if I should decorate my room in an extreme Fancy way that I like (such as leopard...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Could radon gas get into furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

We have not checked for radon but it is bad in our area. We have a crawl space in the basement and I'm wondering if radon gas could come from the CS and possibly get into the furnace and cause a crack in the heat exchanger? Any ideas at all as to why a heat exchanger would crack in a 2 year old...

Venting radon [ 3 Answers ]

Can radon just be vented out the roof just like a soil stack vent with out use of a power fan? Any comments are welcome Thanks for your time

Venting bathroom exhaust into radon pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We are building a second floor bathroom over a first floor bathroom. We are draining (and venting) the fixtures into the vent for first floor fixtures (creating a wet stack, which I understand may not be to code, but will function properly?). Question: we will also have an exhaust fan over the...

View more questions Search