Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2010, 12:35 PM

One day this summer, when my wife and I were packing up to take the boys fishing, I found a huge Black Snake underneath a cooler. It was huntin' mice I guess. My wife wanted to leave it in the garage as pest control. But we decided that it wouldn't be a good idea, for the kids sake. And the dog wouldn't ever get any rest. It was as big as a Coke can.

Next time I find one Judy, I'll send it to you UPS.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 04:20 PM

Judy - you can borrow Dink my Jack Russell terrier. She is very fast indeed and likes to catch small rodents. I'll put her on the next Greyhound bus...

Or you can print out the directions for your mice to my back porch. Let's see, I've fed the ferrel cats of the neighborhood, many raccoons, possums, skunks, coyotes (actually they were there to dine on the coonies), a few shrews, chipmonks, squirrels, bluejays so why not add a few field mice to the mix? Just tell them to be sure to come after dark for the best goodies. Lately I've made hockey puck banana bread for the possums. Yum was their remark and wanted more.

Hockey puck banana bread recipe: dozen overly ripe bananas. 4 cups flour, one cup sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons cinnamon. Beat with mixer and try not to make too much of a mess. Pour into rice cooker and cook on low setting for about 3 hours. Makes one huge thick bread. Cut into little pieces and put outside on porch. Bread does not freeze so possums can eat it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 04:38 PM

I will not be accepting any parcels delivered by UPS and/or from JMJoseph.

Twinkie - I am not trying to attract any more wildlife; I am actually trying to drive wildlife away. Any recipes for that? Or maybe I could make your hockey puck banana bread and use it to brain them when they come into the garage - ?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 04:47 PM

Nazda had mice in her patrol car that she parked near the dumpsters. All the patrol cars had mice in them. They all had to be torn apart and cleaned of any mice residue and the cars were parked far away from any dumpters by about 2 rows to stop reinfestation. Good idea you're having the car torn apart for health reasons. They never figured out just how they got in except that they climbed up the tires. The cars had to be thoroughly vacuumed out due to the mice dander as well.

Uh, the hockey puck bread recipe can be used in various ways. I was just giving it out just in case someone else comes along and wants to know my "secret recipe" that I feed my critters. Maybe not. I don't know of anyone else who feeds critters on here but you never know.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I will not be accepting any parcels delivered by UPS and/or from JMJoseph.

Twinkie - I am not trying to attract any more wildlife; I am actually trying to drive wildlife away. Any recipes for that? Or maybe I could make your hockey puck banana bread and use it to brain them when they come into the garage - ?
    My mother in law's dressing would most likely run them off. It is supposed to be "healthy". I have no idea as to it's ingredients, nor do I wish to ever see it again. But there it is twice a year. I gave some to my dog, and he started licking his hind end. I guess he was trying to get the taste out of his mouth. I'm not kidding. Most of her dishes are edible, but that dressing stayed with me for a day or two. I have to make up excuses whenever she is serving us.

It would surely tell all of the rodents in your area that they are not welcome. I could send a pan of it along with the snake. It would probably kill it in transit.

Hey Judy, as far as the traps, make sure that you are putting them along the walls. Mice like staying tight up against them when they scurry around.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 09:56 AM

I just wanted to tell you a (not so) funny story.
    It all started when my father gave me his car, actually it all started when I bought a 5th wheel camper.
    My parents and I have a couple of acres on recreation land, I had always used an old ratty hard top tent trailer, with more holes and tears then I'd ever seen. One summer the entire end was covered by a tarp to keep me dry, but it was mine and I loved it. I never had a rodent problem, surprising I know. But my mother finally convinced me to 'move on up", so I purchased a 2005 5th wheel camper. It was heaven, I had a bathroom with a shower and tub, bunk beds,a hida bed, a queen sized bed in a private bed room, a built in flat screen TV, Ok I know this isn't camping, but I still have to hook up the generator to watch TV :P
    Any ways I hadn't gone out there for a week or so, and on my return, one of the mattress on my bunk bed was chewed apart, there was some sort of poop in bath tub, my hida bed mattress was chewed up, ALL of my toilette paper was torn to pieces, so we set out leaving our peanut butter traps, and it seemed to work. We never actually caught anything but there was no evidence of a critter... For a while...
    So I was driving home, feeling quite smug, when I could hear squeaking! I got home tore the car apart, and couldn't find anything. A week went buy, I noticed funny smells in the car, and if there was paper left in the car it was chewed up, then I noticed a small hole in the back seat that was progressivly getting bigger. And then the SAME droppings that were in my trailer appeared on my drivers seat and in the back seat. So my dad set up the traps, low and behold that week we caught a squirrel!
    I felt really bad that I had killed it, but I guess it was better then having my car and trailer distroyed!
    Well I hope you catch the critters that are causing your grief!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 10:26 AM

$2,600 to repair the leather about 10 days ago and nothing since then.

Fingers crossed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mice prevention [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an inexpensive, easy solution to mice prevention?

Mice? In ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

While working in my basement office, I hear small skittering and sometimes very loud skittering from the ceiling above... sounds like they are around the duct piping. How the heck did they get there? And how the heck do I get rid of them? I have used bait outside for the neighbor's migrating mice...

Mice! [ 26 Answers ]

Okay folks, I know someone has an answer to this. I am having a problem with mice. They scare the bejezuz out of me. I can handle most anything, but they are fast and they have tails!! :eek: I have a two story house on a slab, all my food is in storage containers, house is always clean. I have...

Mice [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

Mice [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

View more questions Search