Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joey7631 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Does a non-compete clause apply to primary location or location of employment?
    Does the non-compete apply to primary location of business, location of employment or any of the locations? There are 3 locations in my area, the clause states 10 miles and 2 years.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2010, 09:36 AM

That seems crystal clear. You cannot be employed in competition with your current employer within a 10 mile radius of THEIR location and within 2 years of your termination of employment.

Jan 1, 2010, 09:40 AM

THEY own all locations... does it apply to all of them? Because if it does I will have to learn a new profession

Jan 1, 2010, 09:44 AM

Would have to see the full text of the non compete clause. It might cover a 10 mile radius from any of their locations.

On the other hand, non compete clauses are often unenforceable if they prevent you from getting employment.

What is the nature of the company and your job?

Jan 1, 2010, 09:48 AM

Book keeping/accounting... it doesn't state any addresses or any other restrictions other than 10 miles and 2 years.

Jan 1, 2010, 09:54 AM
    The company provides bookkeeping/accounting services for other companies? And you perform such services for their clients?

The only way a non-compete clause would apply here is if you tried to setup your own service within 10 miles of any of their locations. However, I don't believe you can be constrained from going to work for a company as a bookkeeper/accountant or from joining an existing firm that provides such services.

You could, however, be sued if you try to take any of their clients from them.

Jan 1, 2010, 09:54 AM

They are forceing me to work at 2 locations starting this year, these 2 locations are approximately 30 miles apart but only 12 from the other locations. This efectively kills a very large area if it is all locations.

Jan 1, 2010, 10:01 AM

I do have clients that have told me if I ever leave my current employer to let them know where I go because they will follow... if I told them, would that be considered solisitation?

Jan 1, 2010, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joey7631 View Post
    i do have clients that have told me if i ever leave my current employer to let them know where i go because they will follow...... if i told them, would that be considered solisitation?
    Hmm an accountant that doesn't know how to spell solicitation.

You cannot have any of their clients follow you for 2 years. That would be a clear violation of your non compete clause.

I am pretty positive they cannot prevent you from going to work for any company as an accountant. I am less positive that they can prevent you from going to work for another accounting service within the 10 mile/2 year restriction. I am sure they can successfully sue you if any of their clients defect to you within the 2 year window.

I don't see where you would have to change careers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 10:32 AM

You could not go to work for a current customer or for another firm that does similar business.

You could have course be an accountant for a in-house company that does not do work for others.

As for the 10 mile, if the contract does not say specificly, then it is a matter for court, if you go to work somewhere, and the other side sues you, then a court decides.

Jan 1, 2010, 10:36 AM

Sorry, I'm a bean counter, not an english professor :)

What about the 10 mile radius? The clause does not state a location. Is this what would be considered "grey area"?

Does it matter if I quit or get fired?

What if the employer has done unethical things and this is my reason for leaveing?

Jan 1, 2010, 10:38 AM

Yes, since no address was specified it would be up to a court to decide.

It may matter if you were fired, but not if they were being unethical.

Jan 1, 2010, 10:52 AM

Well... I say unethical, but forgery is actually illegal.

Jan 1, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Then report it to the police. If they are guilty of a criminal act, they will be shut down and there will be nothing to compete with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service panel location and or re-location codes [ 8 Answers ]

I just built a new addition on my home, bigger than my existing home. I want to move the service panel from the old basement to the new basement, I would like to do this using the 4/0-4/0-4/0 aluminum service wire run in conduit, it is about 45 to 55 feet. What is the code on this? Also what is the...

No Compete clause [ 1 Answers ]

If you sell a business and sign a no compete clause and the business closes, do you by law have to honor the no compete

Work location is different from employer office location [ 1 Answers ]

I work for NY based company and as an IT consultant. My actual work location is at the client's office which is in NJ for the whole of 2007. I also live in NJ. Will my income be considered as income earned in NJ or NY? My employer has withheld NY taxes though I live in NJ and my work location is...

Non compete is nul and void if your location closes [ 1 Answers ]

Is a non compete null and void if the location that you work out off closes .and they try and make you work 85 miles from where you live!!

View more questions Search