Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OgleRG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Coleman electric furnace/heat pump. When elec heat comes on, it will not shut off.
    Last week when I got up for work I noticed the house warmer than normal. I found the electric heat strips still energized. Tstat was set for 70 house was 74. I do hvac work but deal with air handlers, chillers and small boilers, only residential when its mine. Anyway, I asked the guy at Johnstone Supply and he said it sounded like my sequencer was bad. I purchased that as well as a new fan relay, figured while I was in there you know. I installed the new parts and didn't notice that while doing so one of the 24v leads from the trans had come off and was touching one of the line in terms on the trans. Blew the tstat and the heat pump circuit board. I purchased new board and tstat. All seemed well for a few days, until it got colder and the heat strips kicked on, again they did not de-energize, Ive checked the wiring according to the furnace prints but have one thing nagging me, along with the heat strip thing and the two may be the crux of the issue. When the system is off I get continuity between M1, M2, M3 and M4. I get OL between M5, M6, M7 and M8 which is the second set of elements. When all wired are detached the sequencer reads OL as it should. What am I overlooking?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Sounds like you have really had a good time with your own unit. Heaters only stay on for three reasons. The thermostat or thermostat wiring is sending a signal to stay on. The sequencer is stuck on. The signal from the heat pump circuit board to activate a heater to temper the air during defrost is on. Remember the 24 volt circuit took a hit during the short so all parts that were replaced before the short are subject to failure. Could be the sequencer 24 volt side to a hit and only needed to be activated one time or so to fail. Next time hit the sequencer with the plastic end of a screw driver to see if it opens. This is a method of testing that KC13 posted a while back.

Aligator clips and a volt meter always works for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane heat pump vs electric heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to calculate the cost of a propane heat pump vs electric heat pump. I currently have an electirc heat pump but am looking to install a new one and don't know whether it is less expensive to have the propane one installed or the electric. We don't have any natural gas lines in our area...

Coleman Electric Furnace not putting out heat [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Coleman electric furnace in our mobile home. Mobile home is approx. 12-13 years old. The furnace seems to blow cold air out all the time, if it is warm it is barely warm. The thermostat can not be set higher than 80 it just stops. I am tired of being cold all the time. Does anyone...

Old coleman electric furnace not blowing heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have an old coleman electric furnace in my home that isn't putting out any heat. It will only come on when I put it in manual and I have it set for heat. I know the blower works because it puts out plenty of air. Even with the thermostat put on over 70 degrees it still won't kick on by...

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

Heat pump vs electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump with a two stage thermostat, 1st stage is heat pump, 2nd stage is electric (resistance) heat. Is it ever more economical to run the furnace with resistance heat only, not the heat pump? I know that the outdoor temperature affects the ability of the heat pump to work, but is...

View more questions Search