Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtsue Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 10:35 PM
    High water pressure
    During certain times of the day, the water pressure in the house is enormous. The toilet tank does not fill up with water, yet when I bleed the water from a sink and release the tension of water, the toilet tank then fills up. Once the water line is relieved, the pressure returns to normal. I'm not sure if I need to change the regulator again, as I just put a new one in 6 months ago. During high pressure times of the day, the relief valve on my water heater also drips water. However, once I open and release the tension of water, the water heater stops the drip. This problem is killing me.
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Dec 31, 2009, 03:14 PM

Well, or city water?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    During certain times of the day, the water pressure in the house is enormous.
    What time of day will this happen? Purchase a hose bib pressure gage ,(see image) and tell me how high the pressure builds to. Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

Jan 3, 2010, 06:42 PM

City water, and the pressure builds up around 1 pm. Will test pressure tomorrow and let u know. Thanks

Jan 5, 2010, 11:55 PM

Pressure is coming in from the city and 175 psi, and the regulator is dropping it down to 50 psi. However, I just put in a brand new heavy duty regulator, and my release valve on the water heater still drips water during and only during the 1pm time of the day, when the pressure is extremenly high. I can tell the pressure is abnormally high because when I bleed the water from the bath sink, I can feel the abnormal force of the water coming out for about 3 seconds, and then it stabilizes.

Jan 5, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrlook View Post
    Well, or city water?

Pressure is coming in from the city and 175 psi, and the regulator is dropping it down to 50 psi. However, I just put in a brand new heavy duty regulator, and my release valve on the water heater still drips water during and only during the 1pm time of the day, when the pressure is extremenly high. I can tell the pressure is abnormally high because when I bleed the water from the bath sink, I can feel the abnormal force of the water coming out for about 3 seconds, and then it stabilizes
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Jan 7, 2010, 07:30 AM

What is the significance of 1:00 PM? Is there anything that uses water every day in your house at 1:00 PM? I can not think of anything that runs periodically during the winter except a water softener, but that is usually at night, and hopefully not every day. Plus, that would only help to stabilize the pressure, not raise it. At 1:00 PM, how high does the pressure get past the regulator?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Pressure: How high is TOO high? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm replacing a toilet ballcock for the 3rd time. Never occurred to me what was causing them to fail... 1st one, when we moved in some 15 yrs ago. 2nd one, when the city switched us to the "new" main, some 5 years ago. Meanwhile, I had replaced ALL the plumbing in the house (minus a PRV...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Water pressure too high? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I moved into my new house a few days ago and have noticed that the bath tap is constantly dripping. I don't think it is the washers, as when I turn on the sink tap the bath tap leak stops - could this indicate that the water pressure is too high? How do I go about reducing it? Many thanks! ...

High water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently changed my water heater and have discovered that my water pressure is VERY high. Upon completion of the installation, I noticed the T & P valve opened. I installed a pressure gauge on an outside hose bib to find my pressure running between 150 - 160 PSI. I have a pressure reducing...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search