Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slaus2 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Dog Toys
    Can anyone suggest a dog toy that is good for a heavy chewer? I am looking for something that possibly bounces or rolls, I got her the Orka jack which claimed it stands up to the toughest chewers, but my dog had an "arm" chewed off it in about 2 minutes. I only let her play with it when I am playing too because she loves it, then I take it away when she is home alone or I am in another room (don't want her to choke!). The only toy that seems to stand up to her chewing are the Fat Cat plush toys because they seem to be made of some kind of bullet proof space age fabric, she needs more then one toy to play with when I'm at work though. Any suggestions will be tried and greatly appreciated.
    MJ6216 Posts: 115, Reputation: 7

Nov 15, 2006, 07:07 AM
    I Used To Have A Heavy Chewer As Well... try A Nylabone Or This Thing Its Called A Kong.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 15, 2006, 09:00 AM
    I agree. Kong are some of the toughest dog toys out there.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 09:44 AM
    The Kongs and Nylabones mentioned are good. They make a verity of different shapes, but they can be hard to find. I was disgusted at my last visit to Petsmart at their selection. They had dozens of the standard bone shape in different colors, sizes, and flavors of consumable ones. I avoid the consumable ones, a heavy chewer will quickly gnaw them down dangerously small enough to be gulped down and choke the dog. Same for rawhide and the dental chews.

Both Kong and Nylabone make balls. The Kong balls are meant to have kibble fall out as the dog rolls them around. The Nylabone ball is just a hard, solid chunk of nylon almost indestructible if you buy the larger sizes. Nylabone also makes rings, ''Y'' bones, dinosaurs, and other shapes appealing to dog. For the ultimate chewer, there is the Nylabone Galileo Souper size. It is round about 7'' long and 3'' in diameter. I haven't heard of a dog destroying one, even the ones that destroy Kongs and other nylabone in an hour or less. With my last puppy, I had to put some of the Kongs and the Kong ball up, before she tore them up.

Where do you find the Fat Cat toys? It is possible I have passed by them as one more forbidden, plush toy. Puppies love things that flop around so they can shake them to death. I don't want to push anybody, but I am very happy buying toys from www.vetvax.com. Unlike a certain better know pet supply, they have never spammed me. Good prices, good service, and no spam. Just watch the pictures on the site. If a toy looks sort of translucent, it may be the soft, flexible material that heavy chewers instantly destroy.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart. The dog guide school forbids ropes too. The service dog school my holly belongs to allows them, as long as the dog doesn't play tug of war with even other dogs.
    slaus2 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Thanks so much, I'll try the Kong toys, I've used the cone shaped toy that you stuff with peanut butter and she loves it, although she seems to have hidden it because I can't find, it will show up in a few months I'm sure. I haven't seen the balls and other shapes but I will try that website you suggested.

I have found the Fat Cat toys in Pet Smart and Target, they didn't have a lot but the ones we have tried are pretty indestructable, she's had one of them since we got her. They have a website but it looks as though you can only buy sets of toys and just a single toy. They are made of a super strong canvas like material, and my dog loves them.

www.fatcatinc.com
    We have the "Terrible Nasty Scaries".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toys for Labs [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I will first start by saying this is a great site for information. I need some suggestions for toys for my 6 month old lab. We have a rope toy and a plush sqeaky toy and a Nylabone. We have gone to Petcetera (we live in Canada) and only see really $$$ stuffed animals. We have Kongs but we...

Batteries in children's toys [ 1 Answers ]

I have been noticing that instructions in several battery operated children's toys state not to use re-chargeable batteries. I am wondering if anyone knows why this is. With all the battery operated toys now on the market, I find it much more economical to use rechargeables, but of course would not...

Cup toys [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know of some of those toys that are like hollow and when you open there's a smaller one of the same thing inside,with a smaller toy of the same shape inside and so on, my philoshopy teacher has one of the leaders of the old communist regime and I thought they were so cool that I want one...

Toys in toilet pipes [ 10 Answers ]

Hello and thank you for taking the time to offer your advice. My son (2yrs) flushed toys down the toilet (and who knows what else). I've tried a plunger - no go. I've tried the snake, but it won't go through. There is obviously hard objects blocking the entire passage. I think I need to take the...

View more questions Search