Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TAA Long Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Can a landlord charge for repairs from a fire
    We had a chimne fire and now the landlord is asking us to pay half for the fixing. They called their Ins. And found out that they would had to pay $1000.00 deductible. So then they didn't want to go that route. HELP please. Thank you Tara Long
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2009, 06:15 PM

A lot depends on what caused the fire. If it was any neglience on your part, then he can hold you partially responsible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 07:31 PM

If you caused the fire or was even at part responsible of course they can make you pay.

If you caused it, they can make you pay 100 percent of the cost,
    If you were only partial at fault then pay a part.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 08:46 AM

Hello t:

I agree with the Padre. Consistent with his advice, though, is the fact that if you're NOT responsible, then you don't have to pay a DIME.

Not having been there, it would seem that unless you built a fire too big for the fireplace, you would NOT be responsible... However, I've never heard of that. What I HAVE heard of, is a fire starting in the chiminy due to cretasote (sp) buildup, and that would be a landlord responsibility - not YOURS.

First you need to determine the CAUSE of the fire, and that should be available from the fire department... If it's what I suggested, even though I can't spell it, don't pay him anything.

This problem, however, IS going to cause trouble with your tenancy, and you're probably going to have to move.. Certainly, you can't live there with a very angry landlord...

But, first. Once you've determined that you are NOT responsible for the fire, write your landlord a certified letter telling him that you will not pay, and WHY, and that you will be seeking other lodging at your earliest convenience. Include a copy of the fire department's report.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 09:34 AM

Deends, if they have lived there for a while, routine maintenance of cleaning the chimmeny may well be the tennants duty, a lot will depend on what the lease says. Or if they were even suppose to be using it, or if it was gas unit and they burnt wood, or a coal unit and they burnt wood,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord won't do repairs [ 2 Answers ]

Our landlord will not fix our fridge or our bathroom tile that is falling down or a shower head that needs to be replaced.

Landlord Will Not Make Repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My family and I are renting a house in Hendersonville, TN. There have been many repairs that the house has needed in the time that we have lived there but the landlords will not fix them or if they do try to fix them it is not done correctly. This has caused many problems. We now have mold...

Landlord charge for repairs? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a letter from my landlord stating that my roommate and I owed $100 for the repair of a messed up dishwasher. We had been calling them for 3 or 4 weeks now trying to get them to repair our dishwasher and they just recently replaced the motor. The letter said that glass was found...

Repairs by Landlord [ 13 Answers ]

A property management is the landlord, termites were found and reported for something to be done. Nothing was done, has been over a nine month period, not only have they not responded to the problem, the tenant was told NOT to call anymore as there were other tenants with worse problems that...

Landlord not making repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My son is rented a house a few months ago and has discovered a few problems which need to be fixed. According to the lease these should be the responsibility of the owner. For the last 2 months he has been giving my son the run-a round, basically not doing what he says he is going to do. One...

View more questions Search