Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lake401 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Goodman furnace not enough heat
    My goodman furnace will not keep up in cold temperatures. Can I increase the amount of heat it puts out. Seems like air coming from vents is not that warm.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 10, 2009, 03:41 PM
    You cannot increase the firing rate of the furnace but a properly trained HVAC person with the proper tools can check and adjust if necessary.

Dec 30, 2009, 02:05 PM

The furnace runs for 15 minutes and is only off for 5 minutes. Can this be a problem with my thermostat?

Dec 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
    The furnace runs for 15 minutes and is only off for 5 minutes. Can this be a problem wit
    The furnace runs for 15 minutes and is only off for 5 minutes. Can this be a problem with my thermostat?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 02:19 PM

Drafty house in the cold weather will do this. Mine is the same. I don't worry about it as long as I have heat. We went down to l5 degrees below celsius two days ago so didn't worry when I heard the furnace come on and off. (the old one would go off entirely!)It is a new high efficiency furnace installed this last summer. A new thermostat. It is a drafty old bungalow built in the 40s pretty close to Lake Ontario. What can I say. I live with it and thankful I can pay the gas bill.

Tick
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Yes it could but you said the furnace would not keep up in your first post? So why is it a thermostat problem now?

The thermostat could be located in the wrong area.

The thermostat could not have the wires sealed behind it with caulk or DUM DUM compound. This allows the cold wall air to have its way with the thermostat.

The thermostat heat anticipator may not be adjusted correctly or the setup selection was improperly done during the install.

Now I must ad this. Years ago it was acceptable for a gas forced air furnace to cycle up to 6 times in an hour but the real problem here is that you offer no other information. If it is 20 below zero your furnace is going to cycle differently then when it is 40 above zero.

What is the brand and EXACT model number of your thermostat?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat sensor in a goodman furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Gentlemen I have read questions that others have had about their goodman furnaces.Well mine does the same thing... cycles several times but does not fire. If left on for about an hour or so, it might eventually work. One answer was that the heat sensor was dirty, full of soot or something. I had a...

Goodman Gas furnace with no heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMP Series gas split unit furnace that I had installed approx 12 years ago. I have had no problems at all until this week and there is no heat. Someone at the gas company said that it may be the glow plug. It does not light up at all when the furnace kicks on. I have called several...

Goodman Furnace does not produce heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to understand how I can fix a Goodman GMPN Condensing Gas Furnace. Problem: Heating Mode - I start the heating phase by selecting higher temperature on the thermostat to get the furnace in heater mode. There is a small fan that starts for about 30sec then everything just...

Goodman furnace/ no heat [ 10 Answers ]

My Goodman furnace was working just fine the other day, but now I can hear it trying to start up but nothing happens. The cold air works just fine. It has no pilot light, works with internal ignition. I've done what the maunal suggests to check before calling someone out but nothing has changed....

Goodman Furnace and Heat Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I am shopping for a new HVAC system, have received a quote that sounds very good but I have never heard of a Goodman system. I trust the local dealer. What is the general feeling about Goodman products? My house is about 1250 sq ft, furnace proposed is 90,000 BTU Heat Pump is 14 SEER, located in...

View more questions Search