Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    v-star Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Dell os
    Had a virus on the dell lap top inspiron 1720, reinstall os from disc everything was going find then on completion of install black screen and only the mouse was there, reinstall twice and same thing. Any thoughts ?
    So now I have nothing :mad:
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Feb 2, 2010, 03:12 PM

Was this the disk supplied with the computer?

Feb 2, 2010, 07:35 PM
    Yes both of them
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 10:04 AM
    Could be a matter of patience. The amount of time for first boot up on some slower computers can be astronomical. When I was doing Vista Upgrades (Ugh) after any update, or first install would take over 30 minutes sometimes.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Feb 4, 2010, 01:56 PM

Do you get a Dell splash screan? If so try a safe mode boot usually pressing f8 will boot you into safe mode it will boot running only basic drivers and will cause lots of applications to not preload. If you can boot in safe mode start looking at the proprietary video card drivers and applications that load during a normal boot. Msconfig and be used to keep most applications from loading at boot but you would first have to be able to boot at least in safe mode to run it.

Feb 4, 2010, 07:55 PM

cmeeks, I could start up on safe mode but when booting up files would freeze at scandics and that is as far as I could go.

Infojunkie4life. This reinstall would take 2 hours per install, and that was not the drivers which would not work at all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Laptop [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Inspiron 8100 dell laptop with a cracked screen. I am trying to get rid of it and I don't know how much it is worth. I was offered $65.00 Is this about all I can get out of it?

Dell Notebooks [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if the Dell CP and CPi series are compatible with each other? This is mainly about the hard drive. I had a CPi D266 and it went bad, so I got a CP D233 and the hard drive fit perfectly. The CP has a smaller processor and less maximum RAM capability. Will the same hard dive fit...

Dell all In One [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya All Wonder if anyone can help please. Dell 810 all in one on offer in UK, £21.70 (38USD) Has anyone used one or heard of them regarding print quality, photo printing etc. carts seem about average cost, £14, one cart printer. Thanks DavidB. ...

View more questions Search