Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by csc327 View Post
    Funny thing just happened -- I had another heart-to-heart with my soon-to-be ex, and he has agreed to allow me to sell the ring. He's willing to take the loss of what he's paid thus far.
    Communication is a wonderful thing. Good for you on avoiding that headache!!
    csc327 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Dec 30, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Communication is a wonderful thing. Good for you on avoiding that headache!!!!
    Thank you... I feel so much better. :p
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by csc327 View Post
    Funny thing just happened -- I had another heart-to-heart with my soon-to-be ex, and he has agreed to allow me to sell the ring. He's willing to take the loss of what he's paid thus far.
    I've also read the entire thread and cleaned up some of the garbage. But I tend to disagree with this solution to a point.

I think you do have a right to sell the ring, however, I think you should use the proceeds to first pay off the loan, then split the difference with your ex.

As pointed out an engagement gift is a conditional gift. However, there are mitigiating circumstances here, that might go either way in a court. So the most fair and equitable solution would be to split any proceeds after the balance of the loan is paid. This way, he mitigates his losses, and you get something for the inconvenience you have suffered.

Dec 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I've also read the entire thread and cleaned up some of the garbage. But I tend to disagree with this solution to a point.

I think you do have a right to sell the ring, however, I think you should use the proceeds to first pay off the loan, then split the difference with your ex.

As pointed out an engagement gift is a conditional gift. However, there are mitigiating circumstances here, that might go either way in a court. So the most fair and equitable solution would be to split any proceeds after the balance of the loan is paid. This way, he mitigates his losses, and you get something for the inconvenience you have suffered.
    Ah, understood, but there won't be any proceeds. We are selling it for the balance owed to Jared's, which is over 50% of the original value.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2009, 02:54 PM

Hmm jewelry tends to appreciate, not dpreciate, especially that much in such a short space of time. I would shop around, I think you can get more for it, unless Jared grossly overpriced it. Have you had it appraised?

But that brings up another point I was going to drop. I agree with Chuck that he had no business spending $10K for a ring he could not afford.

Dec 30, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Hmm jewelry tends to appreciate, not dpreciate, especially that much in such a short space of time. I would shop around, I think you can get more for it, unless Jared grossly overpriced it. Have you had it appraised?

But that brings up another point I was going to drop. I agree with Chuck that he had no business spending $10K for a ring he could not afford.
    I was educated immensely on selling used rings. You are fortunate if you can sell it for more than 1/3 of original price. Getting over half price is considered very good!

Dec 30, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Again - this is CONTRACT LAW. None of these details matter. Why he broke the engagement doesn't matter. It's broken but the ring was purchased in one name, paid for (this far) in another.

I know you don't want to hear it but you need an Attorney.

Agree that as long as OP is coming back and doesn't want the thread closed it should remain open - HOWEVER, the correct/accurate legal advice has been given (in spades) and anything else that is being posted simply complicates the main issue.

It's CONTRACT LAW.
    Judy, I want to thank you again for providing some good, sound advice. I appreciate the time you took in responding and wish you only the best in 2010. I think we can close this thread, can't we?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 06:19 PM

Just as a note - I know fine jewelry. Jared is vastly overpriced. Gold has gone up in value but diamonds, particularly those that are overpriced, do not appreciate.

Happy to be corrected by someone with more knowledge than I have but I recently decided to sell some expensive jewelry and was shocked at how the diamond market has dropped. The motto seems to be "buy high, sell low."

OP is right on target with this.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 06:20 PM

Closed at the OP's request

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Throwing engagement ring back [ 27 Answers ]

Hello guys 2 wknds ago I got into a massive fight with my partner. I was going off one expressing what is making me upset and half way through the argument he says "well what u going to do about it". (he tends to say that a lot when we fight) which instigated me and I throw back the engagement...

Does a woman in Virginia have to return her engagement ring. [ 8 Answers ]

That seems to depend -often on the Judge and how they interpret the situation Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Family Law, Margaret Frankel, Alexandria, Virginia lawyers attorneys Engagement Ring Laws Your state I think follows the conditional rule. General rule is that an engagement ring is a...

She won't give the engagement ring back? [ 4 Answers ]

I need help on this. My fiacne is manic bi-polar and is in this phase where she needs "space" I was living with her for 2 months then left. Two weeks after that I got her to admit to me that we are done and asked for the ring back. While we were living together she handed me the ring when she...

View more questions Search