Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mikki4011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 10:19 AM
    My child's hamster died and she's mortified
    My hamster "Skittles" died today. I went in my room to refill my hamsters'( M&M and Skittles). But when I poened the cage M&M was running in their wheel, but Skittles was laying right next to the food bowl dead. He had a bite mark on his front lower area and his neck was bitten two. I know M&M did it. But why would he do that to his own twin brother?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 10:28 AM

Try this site:Hamsters World!

It may give you some answers. I know the music will make your child laugh. It did mine.
    Boots011 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2010, 10:52 PM

I'm assuming they were some kind of dwarf hamster? Some people believe dwarfs prefer company, that they can be kept in pairs or colonies, but that really isn't the case. In the "wild" hamsters only come together to breed, and males rarely interact with each other at all. In a large enough cage, they *can* coexist just fine, however with age they become more aggressive.

My guess is that you got them when they were still relatively young and they have just outgrown their cage. M&M might have been a more dominant hamster or maybe he was bigger. Check him for any bite wounds, but chances are he attacked Skittles and either the bite wounds or just the stress killed him.

M&M will be better off on his own, and make sure *not* to try and introduce a new hamster. Give him lots of love. He's not a bad hamster; that's just the way it is.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2010, 11:15 PM

I take it no one mentioned to you that once hamsters reach adult hood they do have a possibility of killing their roommate. When I worked at Petco, we had hamsters that would actually kill, eat and dismember the other hamsters in the cage. When we would house hamsters for a couple months with no sales, then got new, smaller hamsters. The bigger, more aggressive hamsters would always have to be alone. I never thought hamsters were real good pets. They always bite and are solitary animals.

IF you do get another Hamster, get another cage completely separate from the other one. Also, try and feed fresh veggies, fruits and a little bit of yogurt. It helps keep their little tummies running right.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2010, 02:00 AM

Just to reiterate the above answers, hamsters are solitary animals.
    Yes you see them all together in pet stores but that is because they are all babies, once they reach maturity they will fight to the death.

I'm sorry you had to find this out the hard way.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jan 5, 2010, 04:40 PM

I'm sorry for your hamster.:(
    Here are some sites that should help you understand a bit more.

Hamsters
    Care of Pet Hamsters
    Hamsterific Hamster Illness Guide for Hamsters
    Hamster Care

Joy
    seldovia1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 06:28 PM
    Mine died 2 and she was the cutest one in the history of hamsters! Well she died on Valentines Day so you 2 make everything feel better go and call a friend and tell them what happened then change the subject 2 something like your dog [if you have 1] so that's what I do. II'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY THAT THAT HAPPENED! WA!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2011, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seldovia1 View Post
    Mine died 2 and she was the cutest one in the history of hamsters! well she died on Valentines Day so ya 2 make everything feel better go and call a friend and tell them what happened then change the subject 2 something like your dog [if u have 1] so thats what i do. II'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY THAT THAT HAPPENED! WA!
    Please take note of the dates on posts. This death occurred over a year ago. Thanks for the input, but also please watch the "textspeak".
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2011, 04:34 PM

Thread closed.

Please check dates before posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My hamster died. How? [ 7 Answers ]

Yesterday I came home from school getting ready to clean out Bamboo, my 1 year old Syrian Panda hamster's cage and instead I see her buried under all her bedding. Dead. About a month ago she escaped from her cage and we found her in my dads bedroom and returned her, but I also have a cat and do...

My hamster has died [ 6 Answers ]

My pet hamster died today, he was only 10 months old and seemed absolutely fine, happy and running about. I had not seen him for over a day so I checked his bed and he was there just curled up. I don't understand why he has gone, I don't think he had wet tail, can anyone help me, give me a possible...

Hamster died.why [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My hamster was found dead today. I am 12 and really upset I didn't do anything wrong. She had her water, food and tons of playthings she had everything. I only got her in August!! I really need to know why she just died. She was found in her bed just asleep but she did used to climb across...

View more questions Search