Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 08:40 AM
    What did you want to do in life?
    Does anybody ever feel like they are meant to do something more with their life? What did everyone want to do with their life and did anyone succeed?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 08:50 AM

I wanted to be Queen but unfortunately that position was already taken in England so I went on to be something else.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 08:52 AM

I wanted to be a teacher, pretty much my whole life. I would play School instead of house with my friends, and I tutored people in high school and loved it.

Once I took my first education classes in college, though, I realized that I would NEVER be a good teacher. I just don't have the right mental attitude for it.

I've gone on and work in administration in a college now, which still allows me to work with students, but not in a teacher capacity.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 08:58 AM

It is really nice hearing these things. So do you think you will ever get to try teaching?

I have always wanted to be a police officer and maybe someday I will. I have also wanted to do comedy and write songs but those are just dreams I guess. Right now it looks like I have started a career in garbage.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 09:13 AM

Adam BTW I was not kidding about being Queen. When I was little I would dress up in long gowns and pose in front of the mirror for hours on end making my best regal poses for my subjects. I was born about 300 or so years too late to fulfill my burning ambition.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Adam BTW I was not kidding about being Queen. When I was little I would dress up in long gowns and pose in front of the mirror for hours on end making my best regal poses for my subjects. I was born about 300 or so years too late to fulfill my burning ambition.
    Some countries still have queens right? Maybe you can get your chance somewhere sometime.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 10:11 AM

Adam--I don't WANT to teach. *shudder* The thought of having to jump through all the red tape and never actually REACHING most of my students appalls me.

Get rid of the kids that don't want to be there--but ALSO take away their ability to collect Welfare if they don't finish--and maybe I'll think about it. But for the most part, the politics involved in being a teacher doesn't work for me. Everyone says that there's politics in every job--but every teacher I know that quit teaching said it was because of the politics.

As far as YOUR career goes--have you looked into a Criminal Justice degree? It's not always required to be a police officer, but it doesn't hurt--and it also exposes you to so many more ways that you can help people in much the same way as a police officer.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 10:55 AM

Adam,

I have always wanted to be an actress or TV personality..

I had an opportunity to be in that movie "Annie", but I blew that one! Haha
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Adam--I don't WANT to teach. *shudder* The thought of having to jump through all the red tape and never actually REACHING most of my students appalls me.

Get rid of the kids that don't want to be there--but ALSO take away their ability to collect Welfare if they don't finish--and maybe I'll think about it. But for the most part, the politics involved in being a teacher doesn't work for me. Everyone says that there's politics in every job--but every teacher I know that quit teaching said it was because of the politics.

As far as YOUR career goes--have you looked into a Criminal Justice degree? It's not always required to be a police officer, but it doesn't hurt--and it also exposes you to so many more ways that you can help people in much the same way as a police officer.
    I was one of those kids that did not finish school. I liked certain subjects but not others. So you can say I was a bad student but I am not dumb by any means I just didn't like school and was bored with it. I do have my ged though and can hopefully do something with it. I have sonsidered getting my degree in criminal justice before and I might as well try so I can't say I didn't try.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    Adam,

I have always wanted to be an actress or TV personality..

I had an opportunity to be in that movie "Annie", but I blew that one!! haha
    How did you blow your chance? Can you not take more lessons or do more auditions somewhere?
    Welbeing Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 11:52 AM

Hello again Adam,

Lol I guess I could... Its never too late. I see you want to be a police officer? You look young, you can still accomplish that. I admire police and firefighters..
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 12:06 PM

The idea that you teach all kids equally is what had you bored, you know. I'm betting you were bright enough not to be challenged by the content of your class, because it was taught to the lowest common denominator.

Which is part of the reason I couldn't be a teacher. People who don't WANT to learn, or people who have not learned enough to be equal with the rest of the class, shouldn't BE in the class, in my opinion. All that does is hold back the students that DO want to do well.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2009, 12:17 PM
    People who don't WANT to learn, or people who have not learned enough to be equal with the rest of the class, shouldn't BE in the class, in my opinion. All that does is hold back the students that DO want to do well.
    I completely agree with that! :)

I'm not sure yet what I would like to do later on... :o Maybe in the space industry :eek: :p
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    Hello again Adam,

lol I guess I could...Its never too late. I see you want to be a police officer?? You look young, you can still accomplish that. I admire police and firefighters..
    Thanks, I am 20 years old as of now and when I turn 21 I might consider pursuing it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 01:41 PM
    The idea that you teach all kids equally is what had you bored, you know. i'm betting you were bright enough not to be challenged by the content of your class, because it was taught to the lowest common denominator.

Which is part of the reason I couldn't be a teacher. People who don't WANT to learn, or people who have not learned enough to be equal with the rest of the class, shouldn't BE in the class, in my opinion. All that does is hold back the students that DO want to do well.
    Everything was just boring. Some classes were OK, but some classes were just slow and seeming pointless. You do make a good point though.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    I completely agree with that! :)

I'm not sure yet what I would like to do later on... :o Maybe in the space industry :eek: :p
    Unky, you will do great no matter what you do. The space industry would make a great place for you.
    Welbeing Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 01:59 PM

Hello again Adam,

Oh yeah, you are young... Go for it!!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    Thanks, I am 20 years old as of now and when I turn 21 I might consider pursuing it.
    You have the world at your fingertips and its never too late to make your dreams come true.
    Twenty-one is a fantastic age!

I always wanted to be a journalist but I got married instead of taking that scholarship (really stupid).

I am very politically active and get the chance to bend my journalistic elbow at my leisure now.
    I don't have the high paying career ,world traveler life I had envisioned but a doable facsimile. It works for me :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    You have the world at your fingertips and its never too late to make your dreams come true.
    Twenty-one is a fantastic age!

I always wanted to be a journalist but I got married instead of taking that scholarship (really stupid).

I am very politically active and get the chance to bend my journalistic elbow at my leisure now.
    I don't have the high paying career ,world traveler life I had envisioned but a doable facsimile. It works for me :)
    Don't you wish you could though? I wish everyone would get a chance to pursue their dream. You should try it.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    Don't you wish you could though? I wish everyone would get a chance to pursue their dream. You should try it.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Adam but at nearly 56 I am thinking more of resting than going back to college. ;)
    I do agree that everyone should go after their dreams.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

I want a better life [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 18 year old college student and I have seen a lot in life. My mom has been a single parent for as long as I remember she is a mother of 4, and married 3 times. All me and my sisters could use therapy or something. We have all seen divorce. We all always wanted to have a father figure in our...

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

View more questions Search