Algebra II question: PLEASE HELP!
    I need to know how to work this problem:

Simplify.

3+i
    _____
    2-3i
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Nov 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
    I was reminded how to solve this problem here: http://www.answers.com/topic/complex-number

Remember that for complex numbers (a+bi)*(a-bi)=(a^2+b^2) and (a^2+b^2) is not a complex number. So if we multiply the denominator by 2+3i we will no longer have a complex denominator... which will make the equation "simplier" :)

But if we just multiply the denominator by 2+3i we will have changed the value of the initial equation.
    If you multiply the numerator and denominator both by (2+3i) you will be multiplying the equation by (2+3i)/(2+3i) which =1 so multiplying by this number does not change the value you start with.
    Now we have (3+i)(2+3i)/((2-3i)(2+3i))

Simplifying the denominator with the rule given above gives (3+i)(2+3i)/(4+9)=(3+i)(2+3i)/13

Now we simply multiply the two terms in the numerator together. I don't know what method you learned for doing this, I learned to multiply First, Outer, Inner, Last. So I would expand (3+i)(2+3i) = 3*2+3*3i+i*2+i*3i which = 6+9i+2i-3 (remember that I*i=-1) then combine like terms. (6-3)+(9i+2i)=3+11i so (3+i)(2+3i) = 3+11i so our final result is
    (3+11i)/13

I hope this helps you understand how to work through this problem and ones similar to it. Please go over everything I wrote and ask any questions you have.
    sammyp43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 09:49 PM
    decide if the given formula is recursive or explicit. Then find the third term.
    an=3n(n+1)
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Dec 15, 2006, 07:06 AM
    sammy, this is a different question so next time you should create a new question instead of adding it to an existing post.

I know it's hard to type equations here so is your equation:

or

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help with algebra II [ 7 Answers ]

I have many problems.First I have to solve an equation algebraically using a number line.I know how to do it but one problem is tricky. 0 is less than or equal to -x squared -3x-70 how can I answer this?

Help with algebra 2 question please [ 5 Answers ]

On one of my recent test this was one of the problem that I was unable to do. Can anyone help me with it, and show me the steps please? I'm familiar with fractional exponents, but when it came to this problem with a radical exponent I didn't know what to do: ...

Algebra II help [ 4 Answers ]

I am stuck on the equations with division like this one 4x+4/2=3(x+2)-2 my brain locks up and I have no idea how to get rid of the fraction and I know that is what I should do first right?? some one please help me Zak:(

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please help me with this algebra problem: find points and slope of the following linear equation: (y+1)= -1/2(x-2) I know the slope is -1/2 Are the points (2, -1)??

Please help with Algebra 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone PLEASE help me!!! Algebra 2 is KICKING my BUTT!! I am so stuck on this question it aint even funny. For each point, its distance from the point (4,0) is twice its distance from the line x= -4. (by the way this deals with conics...) THANX TO anyone that helps!!

View more questions Search