Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ROANB2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Is it illegal for a company to deduct state taxes for time not worked in a state?
    I sometimes work in a state that has a state income tax but I live and work mostly in a state that does not have a state income tax. My employer has been deducting state taxes (for the state that has an income tax) on all my earnings even though more than half the time I do not work in that state. I cannot recoup these taxes because they report all my earnings as earnings in that state. They say that their payroll system cannot handle changing from week to week based on where I acutally work, even though I know the payroll system can handle it but it is more work for them. So I am being over taxed. Is this illegal? What is my recourse?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 12:40 PM

First you must figure out which state is your tax home. In the state that is your tax home, report your worldwide income for full year. Also in this state claim credit for the taxes paid to the other state. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Roan:

Claiming a credit on your residency state tax return will NOT work for you, since your residency state has NO state income tax.

You will have to pro-rate your salary between the working state and the residency state by filing as a "non-resident" of the working state. You will need a signed memo from your employer detailing WHEN you worked inside the working state and when you worked inside the residency state to support your pro-ration calculations. Attach this memo to the tax return when you file the return, or, most likely, the state will reject the pro-rated return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ Worked in NY for 3 months later moved to CA. Which state taxes need to fi [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in NJ Worked in NY for 3 months(Jan, Feb, March) later moved to CA. Here are my questions related to tax filing : 1) Do I need to file NJ or NY tax returns or Both? ( Here I know that I need to file CA state tax returns as I am current residant of CA) 2) My Wife don't have...

Live in MS, worked in LA, which state taxes do I pay? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the state of Mississippi, but travel to work in Louisiana. Am I required to pay taxes in Louisiana?

Filing taxes in another state but have not worked in that state yet. [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married in Ocober. My husband gets a disability check in Tennessee and I have a w-2 in Missouri . But when we got married we moved to Arkansas. I did not work in Arkansas at all in 2008. So how would I go about doing our taxes?

NC state taxes for part time residents [ 1 Answers ]

If I claim to be a part time resident of North Carolina, do I have to pay NC state taxes on income from stock sales and savings interest. I have a permanent home/residence in FL. My current income was generated from a company that does work in NC.

Worked in CA and GA in 2007, state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am an Indian citizen (F-1 student visa) and non resident alien for tax purposes in state of GA. I earned around $15K in GA and around $15K in CA (over the summer) in FY 2007. I have already finished the federal tax forms by taking into account total income of 2007. Is there any...

View more questions Search