Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 04:11 AM
    Is insulation needed between main floor of house and basement ceiling?
    Hi, Still renovating that old house we bought. The basement is partially finished - there was a drywall ceiling - part of it has been taken down due to a previous water leak. There was insulation (non faced) between the ceiling and upper floor. Before we replace the drywall - do we need to replace the insulation? Is there any reason it would be there other than for sound?
    Thanks,
    Jackie
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 06:01 AM

I would,just for the fact that there was insulation there before.The cost is very little and the idea of keeping the colder air in the lower levels away from the upper floor is more than desirable.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2009, 04:56 PM

Only for sound you do not need it
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2010, 02:16 PM

You said the basement is partially finished, so I'm assuming the basement is heated. As long as it is heated you don't need the insulation in the ceiling, but I would make sure you insulate the walls. If you do insulate the ceiling, make sure you don't buy faced batts or a vapor barrier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insualted basement now main floor cold [ 1 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement. We insulated with rigid foam and sealed the headers. There are two interconnected finished spaces of about a total of 400 sq feet, plus a finished bathroom. There's a utility space that is about 150 sq feet, which includes the gas furnace and hwh. The second floor...

Basement bathroom ceiling insulation [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, the walls are all set with foam insulation, how about the ceiling? I plan on using R19 but I'm not sure whether I need faced insulation or not.

Basement floor drain/main cleanout [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Terry, I recently purchased a single family home that had no basement floor drain and no sump pump. I hired a plumber install both. He used a flashlight to point out that a water formation sits about 6-8 inches back when looking down into my main line (main cleanout). I have three...

Are vent pipes needed on laundry sink and floor drain in basement [ 5 Answers ]

I have a room that is on the back of my house at the same level as my walkout basement. I currently have only a French drain in the center of the room. I would like to put in a laundry sink and a proper floor drain in that room. The room has a concrete floor and the main 4" drain line from the...

View more questions Search