Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AaronWrestle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 12:23 AM
    US Marines.
    I am only 16 years old. Im not 100% sure what motivates me to want to become a Marine. But I want to become one.

I don't own any guns or go hunting. My friends tell me I would be a runt since obviously I can't even aim a gun.

I've been searching Marine facts and information.

I know I'm serious about this when my stomach churns just thinking about it.

A few of my fears are, heights, learning how to twirle guns ( weird fear huh ) ? And not succeeding.

I love hearing of how joining changed lives and it was the best decision that was ever made. I want that to be me.
    I have 2 years left to decide but I want to start now.

I really would like to know some pros, cons, facts about joining.
    Could a boy from Iowa who never shot a gun, join and be a successful Marine?

Thanks a lot.
    TrayRenee Posts: 14, Reputation: -4

Jan 28, 2010, 01:26 AM

I myself am 16 years old & am enlisting in the Marines. Difference between me & you ? I'm a female.
    You don't have to know how to shot a gun to join the Marines, However after enlistment I advise a gun is not what you call it, M16 rifle is more of the correct term :) They will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know at Basic Training on Parris Island. As for the fear of heights, Sorry - But that's something you are going to have to get over - 40 ft. repel tower at basic. It's fun I promise :) & the "gun-twirling" business - Haha. It's called a DrillTeam & they spin rifles - Me & My drill team are the 2 yr. running state champions & 7th in the nation - I promise spinning a rifle is nothing to fear, however - you will accumulate several injuries. As for the Marines it is not a requirement to join drillteam if you join the Marines ! HOORAHH !
    A down side to the Marines, It is the toughest, hardest, & most demanding branch of all of them. Most physically & mentally demanding - It is no joke. It is harsh, It is brutal & It is quit literally hell - They are trained to kill. Soul purpose. Also, the most common thing the Marines is known for is it is a mental mind-F***. It will mentally mess you up & that's a promise, its because for you whole service in the Marines you know ONE THING. Listen to commanding officer. Kill when commanding officer says kill. Live ONLY when commanding officer permits. So on, Its really hard. But, It is a GREAT HONOR to be a Marine.
    I hope this helps, If you have ANY questions at all just ask - I promise I can answer a majority of them, I was almost there but I got pregnant, So got to wait a bit. :)
    & you don't have to wait till your 18.. . There are early enlistement programs.
    K ? Hope this helps. :)
    -Tray Renee
    SIEMPRE FIDELIS!
    AaronWrestle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 01:19 AM

That was a great deal of imformation.. I had to wait awhile to get an answer from somebody on here, but thank you so much.
    Glad you cleared up the drillteam thing too.
    Goodluck to you. Thanks :)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2010, 01:10 PM

Become a Marine - Contact a U.S. Marine Corps Recruiter Today

Aaron, I would suggest that if this is something you are serious about you talk to an actual marine or marine recruit. I suspect that trayrenee is not a reliable source. I can find nothing that allows for 16 year olds to enlist. And an M16 is not the only weapon you'll learn to use if you decide to enlist. Three of my boyfriend's brothers are former marine's. And they all admit that boot camp was absolute hell. But they're all very clearly proud to have served.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jan 31, 2010, 09:28 AM

Yes, a country boy from the Midwest can join the military and learn the skills needed to do well. Just speaking from experience... as a country boy from the Midwest who joined the Army as an E-1 and later was commissioned as an officer. The military is a great way to learn who you are, develop skills and serve your country all at the same time. Good luck.
    Strength89 Posts: 72, Reputation: 24

May 4, 2010, 05:56 PM

Please do keep in mind that the military isn't for everyone even though all of us join thinking that it's for us. With that being said, do your homework. Visit the Marines recruiting office in your local area and be open minded to everything they tell you--both positive and negative. Ask all the questions you want/need to ask (no question is a stupid question).

Also, my advice, if you plan on going to college in the future, BRING IT UP, make sure you enlist with some type of college funded tuition (besides the MGIB). For example, I enlisted in the Navy with a Navy College Fund (a kicker to my MGIB).

The military will train you to do and know all that you need to do and know. What you learn and how much you learn depends on how open and willing you are to everything they show you. You only get as much from the military as what you put in.

Join KNOWING that you WILL have to lose yourself before you can find yourself. In other words, let them break you down, let them rid you of your "civilian" life, let them mentally, emotionally, and physically test your limits and once they are done, they WILL build you back up to be the Air man, Marine, Soldier or Sailor that they need and want you to become.

DO NOT mentally fight the RDC (Drill Sergeant) because you'll be hurting yourself more than you'll be annoying them. I've seen people in boot camp who mentally fought the RDC and refused to be changed and molded into a Sailor--they enter and exited boot camp with the same old attitudes. Imagine the type of Sailors they are now.

Just be OPEN MINDED.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too old for the Marines? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone: I always wanted to join the Marines. At 18 I wanted to enlist but I broke my leg and that was it. I am 25 now. Since that time most of my family wanted me to stay out of the military and I did. I had many jobs but I did't like any of them I always wanted something interesting and...

Army or marines? [ 19 Answers ]

I have a question. I'm interested in oining the military, I've talked to recruiters, read about the different branches. But what I didn't find out was if the army gives you morepaid leave then the marines do..

Scared About Marines [ 10 Answers ]

OK. I need some real good advice. Honestly my recruiter I think gives me bull and I've been trying to search someone who has any help for months. Now I'm honestly tired of trying to give people my life story but in a nut shell I was big fat and no muscle over a year ago and through high school...

Any Marines? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for anyone who has the experience of being a Marine to offer me friendly advice. I'm thinking about becoming a Marine, but I have a few simple questions. Does stealing happen often on bases, should I keep my good clothing at home? What's a typical day look like once you get stationed...

I want to join the marines [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 23 y/o that wants to join the marines I've bee here in the united states since 1991 I know I need a ssn but I don't know if I can get one I have a 11 month old baby and my girld friend has 5 years till her ssn comes her mom is a pemanent resident and she file for her is there any way that I...

View more questions Search