Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcmoody27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 05:51 PM
    I need advice on starting a painting business please
    I have about $1000-$2000 to start, a partner to help with paint experience but I have never started a business and need to know the basics. Do I need a license? How do I get started in finding customers? What else do I need that I might not be thinking of?
    If I could get some help, I would appreciate it a lot.

Jordan Moody
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Ok, you can like some do, put a add the news paper and just go out and paint houses,

But you are suppose to have a licence, normally a city business licence and maybe a state contractors license, you need to have liablitly insurance. If you have employees you will need workers comp insurance.

Also remember you are goint to have to pay your own taxes and self employment tax out of what you make.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2006, 08:00 PM
    I would suggest contacting score.org and sba.gov. Both of those are great resources for startups. They can tell you what you need to do. Help you prepare a business plan etc.

I'm afraid that $2K is really not much capital to start with. Even assuming you have ladders, brushes, drop cloths etc, you will still need to get insurance, pay licensing fees, and most important advertise. You will probably have to lay out money for paint on your first jobs. And that doesn't even take into account living expenses.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 15, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Two points mentioned in previous answers -- you don't have a lot a capital to start, so 1)dont give up your regular job, maybe paint on weekends or after work until you build up some capital, money to grow with to make purchases for importrant items like insurance, business license(s) 2) make sure you have customers, if you plan on spending money on advertising, plan to advertise on a regular basis, one ad in one issue of the newspaper never works, it should be continuous, at least until maybe you have been in business for a length of time, have repeat customers and/or referrals. As to insurance, i.e. liability ins and worker's comp, these are very important, first the law may require you to purchase worker's compensation insurance to pay for employee injuries, death's, should you have, and I will just use an example, three or more employees. All states are different as to under what circumstances you are required to purchase worker's comp - also some states/courts impose severe penalties should you violate the workers comp law. Also expect a pretty high premium. Remember painter's sometimes go up high on ladders, on roofs, etc and consequently falls and severe injuries or deaths occur therefore the experience rating of painters is probably much higher than say an office worker. I doubt you need a State contractor's license as most State contractor licensing boards only require licenses of technical contracting specialties such as HVAC or electrical type work. However, should you take on jobs in several different cities, town, municipalities, expect each to require a business license.
    IceeMann44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 08:33 PM
    Jcmoody, I am also in the same boat you are. I have about $2,000 dollars personally, and I'm a college student considering starting a painting business. I was inspired to after talking with two different "college intership" companies, that want me to manage a paint crew, and find a book jobs. I decided to not go along with that, and actually just start a paint company myself. There are a lot more things to consider than I initially thought, as I look at all the notes I've taken from researching online. I would like to hear more about this topic.
    Nationof4 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Some practical advice.

A simple way to start is to contact General Contractors. Go to the Department of Consumer affairs and get a list. You may not have to a licensed contractor if you are working under a GC's lenience.

You may also want to find a place that needs painting. Take Digital pics before and after and highlight the exceptional work you have done. (start you're your parents they will appreciate the help and let you do some funky painting to highlight your best work.) Then email contractors, organizations. Etc.

You may also want to send your pics and intro letters to building management companies. You will need to be licensed and bonded for this. It is not expensive. Ask the DCA, they have a pool fund for bonding and insurance.

You may also want to produce a quarter flyer and each day go to a specific neighborhood and put them on each house. DO NOT PUT IT IN THE MAIL BOX. This is illegal and could get you in trouble.

Also go to the local warehouse supply companies i.e. home depot or Lowe's and place business cards on cars. Saturday and Sunday is best. This is also illegal but they don't seem to mind.

If you can find some development contractors you may want to do one room or condo for free to show how good you are. You may wined up just working for free but if you impress one enough they can give you a lot of work.

One good way to start is to speak to everyone you know. Tell them you want to showcase their house on your website. You will give them a discount if they give you the job. You can also tell them they will get either an additional discount for referrals or a small fee. Since you are starting make it a very small fee or buy them a gift.

Be willing to do small favors to anyone who can give you referrals.

There are many ways that do not cost money to get your name out there. Think outside the box.
    cookpaintingllc Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmoody27
    I have about $1000-$2000 to start, a partner to help with paint experience but I have never started a business and need to know the basics. Do I need a license? How do I get started in finding customers? What else do I need that I might not be thinking of?
    If I could get some help, I would appreciate it alot.

Jordan Moody
    Check with your loc. Gov't to see if you need a license. Some states do not. If you have employees you need workmans comp (this will eat your 2000.00 and then some). Start of by doing the jobs you get yourself. To get those jobs talk to everyone... hand out cards.. vistaprints.com.. free. Hand out flyers in neighborhoods. I started by doing jobs for friends of family and grew quickly from there. Remember your customers will keep you alive through referrals. Meet contractors at our local home improvement stores.. don't take on jobs you can't handle.
    ewssteve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmoody27
    If I could get some help, I would appreciate it alot.

Jordan Moody
    Hey jordan my name is steve am 23 years old and I started a painting and pressure washing business 4 years ago
    And give you some suggestions and advice from my own experience. First you have to get your phone ringing by not investing much on advertising, and I found out the best way is lawn signs white background with blue letters telling people that you do house painting. You can put them on intersections at a sub division entrances any were that you might think is important and hot locations. They really work believe me they work, and this way you will start picking up some jobs and your buisnesss will start rolling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a Cleaning Service. Advice? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm thinking about starting a cleaning service in my area, where I would specialize in cleaning rentals and brand new houses. I am currently out in my area talking to people to see if they think it would be a service they would use. So I really am just in the beginning stages. I'm wondering...

What I need to register a business and where do I go [ 2 Answers ]

Where would I go to find out what I need as far as Tax Id numbers, if the business name I am wanting to use is available and how do I register my business.

Starting my own small business [ 17 Answers ]

I am trying to start my own lawn business and I've already have some business cards put out on mailboxes ext. and flyers.now my question is how long do I have to wait before someone calls it been 3 weeks now.

Starting a business at a young age [ 4 Answers ]

I am starting a computer business and I am only 16, my question is "will people trust me although i am young" will I get any business at all please respond thank you..

View more questions Search