Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    palomino Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Adding an additional outlet
    I removed the receptical I was going to get power from and found 2 cables entering the box. One was a 14-2 and the other was a 14-3. Both black wires were connected to the brass screws and both white wires were on the silver screws. The red wire was pushed into the hole in the back next to the hot wires. I was courious on what that was for? The tab is not broken and the outlet is not controlled by any switch. Any ideas why this is wired like this? Thank-you
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2009, 08:51 PM
    If the receptacle is not controlled by a switch, the red wire is just carrying a separate "hot" circuit to it's destination. Unusual, but not necessarily wrong.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 27, 2009, 09:18 PM

Run into funny stuff from time to time. The last time I saw this I asked the homeowner why, 14/3 was all he had when he extended the circuit. That red wire may be nothing, test it.
    ducsauce Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Run into funny stuff from time to time. The last time I saw this I asked the homeowner why, 14/3 was all he had when he extended the circuit. That red wire may be nothing, test it.
    My thoughts as well. Although I hate to admit it; I had to do this very thing this past summer when I added another receptacle in my home.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 07:21 AM

If the Red is pushed into the Back of the receptacle, they may have forgotten to break the tab.
    Easy way to tell is if you have a wall switch that does nothing, and testing switch, you will find power at both terminals wheather switch is on or off. If this is the case, remove power, break tab.
    Red and black should not both be connected to the same Hot. You cannot Parallel conductors smaller than 1/0 or more than 50 volts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Additional details, low power electrical outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I have an electrical wall outlet that doesn't put out enough power to support things like my vacuum or computer, but power does come through the outlet because a smal lamp will light. I have shut off the circuit breaker until I get the problem fixed. Will changing the outlet for a new one fix my...

Adding an additional hard drive to my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have an older emachine with an 20gb hard drive. I would like to add that hard drive to my HP newer computer by pluging it into the slave connector next to the hard drive. Would it show up as a "X" drive so that I can access it through My Computer? Thank you.:confused:

Adding additional sewer line [ 2 Answers ]

I recently added a small guest room to the side of my house to rent out. I want to add a third toilet to my existing sewer line myself. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Adding additional name in mortgage payment [ 5 Answers ]

My husband is the one who was paying our mortgage. He wants to put my name in our mortgage agreements or payments. How and what are the requirements and cost to put my name in our mortgage?

Adding tandem breakers for additional circuits [ 2 Answers ]

I am hooking up a 15kw generator with auto transfer switch to a 200 amp service house. The transfer switch has two 240 circuits available, along with 5, 15 amp circuits, and 3, 20 amp circuits. I am trying to decide how to use the 240v circuits. 1)Kitchen oven, 2)Laundry dryer, or just not hook up...

View more questions Search