Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcgusto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Kenmore electric dryer won't start; timer clicks but drum doesn't start turning
    I used an ohmeter to check start button, thermal fuse, timer, thermostats and they all check out OK. I'm afraid it's the motor and don't know how to get to it to test with ohmeter.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
    I would guess that there is another thermal safety somewhere near the back of the drum where you have to disassemble drier to get to it, which is just what you will have to do in order to repair it. Bad motors are a rarity; I have never seen a bad motor unless it was in a flood. Disconnect everything from drier and move out to your garage, if you have one. Lay it on the back and remove front, unplugging door switch as you do so. Then look at how belt goes around pulley and remove it. The drum should lift out now. You can then look for the other safeties and ohm them out. When you find the bad one get a replacement, unless it is resettable. Then clean out all air ducts very well along with compartment housing the heating elements (where there is also a safety that is usually the one that blows out). After cleaning all dust from drier and blowing out motor it should work. DrTom4444
    hello_sunshine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2011, 07:28 AM
    Did this work for you? I am having the same problem... It clicks but won't start. Ugh! On top of this I have to replace a garage door!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite he4 electric dryer. Lights comes on but unit will not start a cycle [ 4 Answers ]

My machine will not go into a cycle. The lights come on, when I push start it beeps and the lights come on but no action? What's up?

Kenmore dryer drum stops turning after it runs for a while [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older Kenmore 80 Series dryer. The drum stops turning after it runs for a while (5-10 minutes). It sounds like the motor is still trying to run before a safety switch shuts it off. After I let it rest for a while it starts running again. The belt is still in tact but looks old but has...

Kenmore electric dryer will not start [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore electric dryer, Model 86193100. It either will not start at all or will run a couple seconds, then stop. What could be the reason?

Kenmore dryer won't start could be start button or timer [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me with this. My dryer was working good and now it won't start at all.

Electric Kenmore Dryer stopped mid-dry, won't start again [ 3 Answers ]

My multi-year-old Kenmore Heavy Duty Wrinkle Guard I (I love it!) just stopped mid-dry. It was on timed cycle. Now, it won't start in any mode. I've opened and closed door for any trip switch problem. I've tried different modes. The timer/mode knob has no variance in feel as I move from one mode to...

View more questions Search