Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beautifulblackqueen Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Nov 20, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by badams007
    Hill's does not make another brand of commerically available dog food, though they do have a prescription line...

If you let us know what else is available in your store, I'm sure we would be happy to give you some recommendations.

These are all the brands they carry...
    (puppy and adult)
    -alpo
    -purina one
    -pedigree
    -puppy chow
    -eukanuba
    -kibbles n bits
    -and of course science diet

That's all
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Nov 20, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Despite my personal preferences for other brands, I can certainly understand the limitations...

Personally, I would opt for the Purina One (they make a fish formula) if they are out of the Science Diet you are feeding now.
    beautifulblackqueen Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Nov 20, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by badams007
    Despite my personal preferences for other brands, I can certainly understand the limitations.....

Personally, I would opt for the Purina One (they make a fish formula) if they are out of the Science Diet you are feeding now.

Thank you. I just don't want to mess up his system and get him off track
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 11:38 AM
    It is best to limit the sources of protein for a dog. Unfortunately they do develop allergies to certain proteins later in life. The fewer things they are fed in their life, the easier it is to work around problems later. I would save fish for if he develops an allergy to lamb. Last time my vet and I talked about chows, I think the Science he had listed lamb meal. If you are feeding a lamb containing Science, and they are out, I would look for other lamb containing chows. I think Purina 1 is lamb based too. Try to remember what is in the Science, and then look at the labels and pick the closest thing to it. I try not to let myself get too low in the Pro Plan I feed my dogs. There is only about one place here to buy it, sometimes they are out. If I check and they are out, I like to be able to go back later.

I am sorry if I came down too strongly on BARF, but I really think it is a bad idea.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 21, 2006, 06:17 PM
    The protein you feed your dog should be based on breed or mix, activity level, and any issues he/she may be facing. The general trend has been lamb in the past but because EVERYBODY has a lamb formula it isn't always the best choice if allergies do exist. A food allergy is usually caused by eating the offending food substance for months to years. Pets do not become allergic to a brand name (e.g. Purina, Alpo); they become allergic to specific ingredients in the diet. The most common allergens reflect the most common diet proteins in pet foods. In the United States, these include chicken, beef, soy, corn, milk, eggs, wheat, and fish to name a few.
    Of all the choices listed and you are are adament about feeding a by-product with corn grain than the Science Diet first, then Eukanuba. The Kibbles N' Bits would be the worst choice due to all the food colorings/additives.
    Of course I am crazy and do recommend you cook for your dog if you have the time and CAN ensure it is balanced!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    The protein you feed your dog should be based on breed or mix, activity level, and any issues he/she may be facing.
    That isn't a widely held view.

Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    Of all the choices listed and you are are adament about feeding a by-product with corn grain
    I think she is adament about feeding her dog something she is able to buy.
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 21, 2006, 06:55 PM
    I personally don't prefer Eukanuba or Iams. The only reason being is that they are produced by Protor and Gamble who gets their food ingredients from Griffin Industries. I don't live that far from Griffin Industries and I have worked in the food industry and see what they pick up--outdated chicken, fat trimmings from beef, fat trimmings from chicken--and it all sits in a 50 gallon barrel at each grocery store waiting to be picked up and looks pretty nasty by the time it is. That may be what all dog food distributors use, but after you've seen it, you wouldn't like it either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is seriously unhappy with her weightloss diet plan... [ 20 Answers ]

I am struggling to keep my Rottweiler's hunger and weight under control. Her vet recommended feeding her 2 cups of Hill's Science Diet Lite Large breed dog food and 2 cans of green beans a day along with a nice walk. Well, this is turning into a disaster!! She's acting like a staved dog. She's...

Business plan [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am writing a business plan for class. Can someone help me? I need some ideas.

My dog is 2 years old and he will not eat his dried dog food! [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs pal and buddy now buddy is 2 and pal is 8 I have had these dogs for there hole life and about a month ago we had to change there food now pal was fine with this she eats her food all at once so did buddy but once we put them back to there regular diet pal was fine and so...

Why 30 minutes before meal? [ 1 Answers ]

The spa that introduced me metathione asked me to take the dose 30 minutes before meal... what's the explanation for this?

Cat scratching behavior at meal time? [ 1 Answers ]

Our stray kitty does this weird thing. Every time she is about to eat, she scratches the area around her food dish. Now all the kittens are doing it too! I have never seen a cat do this and I'm just wondering if anyone knows why she would do it. Could it have to do with her being a stray?

View more questions Search