Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpmacs Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2009, 05:58 AM
    Compare distance an object falls on earth to falling on the moon
    The distance s that an object falls due to gravity varies jointly as the acceleration g due to gravity and the square of the time t of fall. The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is 0.172 that on earth. If a rock falls for 2 seconds on earth, how many seconds would be required for the rock to fall an equal distance on the moon?

Help!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 06:10 AM

The distance s that an object falls due to gravity varies jointly as the acceleration g due to gravity and the square of the time t of fall.
    That means:

Where k is a constant of proportionality that you add when removing the proportionality sign.

Let g_m be gravity of moon and g_e be that of Earth.

Since the distance is the same in both cases, you have:

Replace gravity of Earth by that of Moon (or vice versa, provided you put the corresponding ratio) then replace the time on Earth.

Post your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rate at which the moon orbits the earth. [ 14 Answers ]

Okay, the question I'm having trouble with is this. Find an approximate value for the rate at which the moon orbits the earth. Assume that the moon's orbit is circular. To the side it says Hint: The average distance between the earth and the moon is 382,000,000 meters. I understand that I'd...

What is the value for the rate at which the moon orbits the earth [ 3 Answers ]

what is the value for the rate at which the moon orbits the earth assume that moon's orbit is circular

Why doesn't the moon crash into the earth? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - I learned that any body "in orbit" is really in continuos free fall due to gravity. But if so, why hasn't the moon crashed into the earth? An apple when dropped only takes a second to fall to the earth, surely a few million years (or whatever it is... ) is long enough for the moon.

Rate at which moon orbits earth [ 2 Answers ]

What is the approximate value for the rate at which the moon orbits the earth?

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

View more questions Search