Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1whatevr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 10:09 PM
    We have a John Deere 4010 that doesn't start
    We have a John Deere 4010 that doesn't start. We used to use it all the time. Since my dad died a few years ago we haven't been using it much, but we usually start it every 2-3 months and drive it around a little. In November, for the first time, it wouldn't start. The starter makes a whirring sound (kind of builds up) but the engine doesn't turn over. Battery fully charged. Can you offer suggestions to try?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 27, 2009, 07:12 AM

Hi,
    It uses a solenoid-shift starter, meaning it has the starter proper and a second smaller cylinder attached to it. That is the shift solenoid. It engages the electrical part and pushes the starter gear into the flywheel gear. It is not pushing or one or both of the gears are damaged.
    Incidentally the 4010 is a nice CUT and you ought to "work" it more often. It happens to like to work. Also, put some diesel stabilizer in the fuel to keep the cetane level up.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    1whatevr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2009, 04:50 AM

Thank you. My brother and I only get back to the farm every couple months and we are the only ones to 'work' it now (pretty easy work giving kids rides or hauling junk around). Appreciate the insight. I will check into parts. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L110 Won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I washed my mower - including the engine, and now it won't start. When I turn the key I get a clicking sound. The lights come on but the engine won't turn. The 20a fuse appears to be OK.

John Deere L110 won't start. [ 3 Answers ]

My John Deere L110 won't start for the 5th summer now. It's been in for repairs each summer to resolve this problem, they've changed this and that, but the problem keeps coming back. Sometimes it will start, but most times it does nothing (once in a great while it clicks). This summer, 1st start,...

John deere stx 38 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My john deere tractor will not start it keeps back firing through the carb. And also through the muffler. How do I check the timing, and how would I know if a valve was stuck?

Starter on 4010 John Deere Tractor is sticking [ 1 Answers ]

The starter is not disengaging. Will stop if it is hit with a hammer :( .

View more questions Search