Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dezenaj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
    How do I stop chicken pecking chicken
    Help, rescued 6 featherless battery hens, they're recovering well, except one who is picked on, pecked and generally not refeathering- due to attack I think. Should she be isolated? For how long and at bedtime too?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 04:00 PM

Often in nature a weaker animal is disposed of to keep the "herd" or "flock" better though selective mating and elimiating any animal that has or is different.

Perhaps isolating them completely for their safety till they are much much larger and older.
    miss.erin Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Dec 26, 2009, 04:26 PM

Hi.
    If the other chickens have pecked her until there is blood--they will eventually kill her--it's a means of keeping the flock safe by not having the smell of blood around. I've seen in young chicks as well. Isolate her for now until she gains some strength. Reintroducing her to the flock might be hard and she will take a beating while the new "pecking order" is established--but if she has regained her strength she can endure it. If you can put her in at night with the others and take her out at first light it might make reintroduction less difficult. Get some crushed oyster shells and put some out with their feed, and some vitamins that go in their water to make sure they have nutritionally the stuff they need to regrow their feathers. My birds loved the sweet feed that's made for horses--it has pellets and grains and molasses--full of healthy yumminess.
    Good luck! Thank you for rescuing them! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first time asking of you Gentle Folks. I've recently found the advantage to using canned chicken broth to start my chicken soups and other dishes. However, what's the difference between "chicken stock" and "chicken broth"? It has come up because I have a couple of coupons for...

Can you reheat chicken [ 2 Answers ]

I am planning a dinner party next week - but I am at work all day. I am off the day before, and wondered if I can make the food the day before and re-heat it the following evening. I am planning on making Chicken Breast fillets in a garlic, tomato and white wine sauce. I just want to know if it...

Will he get the chicken pox [ 2 Answers ]

My son was around my cousin on Saturday night who got the chicken pox on Monday, is it possible that my son can get them. Was she carrying the virus although she had no symptoms at the time. Just a bit concerned because my son is 2.

Chicken pox [ 2 Answers ]

My 17 year old has just come out with this, she has spots on every part of her body and even inside her mouth and ears, but the worst part for her is the pain from the spots between her legs, any help for her would be appreciated the poor girl I feel so sorry for her and can't do much, the camomile...

Chicken vs fish [ 3 Answers ]

I was asked a question at a party: what is consumed more world wide- chicken or fish? Have not been able to find the exact statistical answer on line. My husband says fish. Someone else said chicken because they can be every where but fish cannot. If any one knows please let me know. I am dying...

View more questions Search