Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkstein Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Co-signer on Car Loan and Account Garnished
    My husband and I have just had our joint account garnished/levey yesterday and all the bank would give us was a phone number that was only in operation from 8-5pm. They would not tell us any details only that the account had been garnished.

Today we have found out that is for collection of a car loan that his ex-wife let be repossesed back in 2002 after they were divorced. Per the divorce decree the car was hers; however, my husband was still on the loan as a co-signer. We have not received any notification of ANYTHING until our account showed up with zero balance yesterday. Is this legal?? Why wasn't her account garnished? Can we collect this money from her?

Thank you!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Contact you attorney who handled the divorce, the ex should be respondible for the car as per court order divorce settlement.
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 14, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Contact you attorney who handled the divorce, the ex should be respondible for the car as per court order divorce settlement.
    This is true, as long as you have had it written in the divorce decree that the ex was responsible for the car. But, as I have found with most lenders, they not very understanding with these situations. Typically after a divorce, the spouses should either try to refinance the cars that they signed with each other (to have each other's own loans) on or try to trade them off and get a new car loan just in their name alone. Creditors tend to believe that if you co-sign for someone, you should make sure they are going to be fiscally responsible for that debt. I know it doesn't sound fair, but I've heard this a lot of times when trying to get someone approved.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Ok, this is a misconception about divorce, given by the experts so far.

If you are a co-buyer or a co-signer a divorce decree can demand one party be responsible, but a divorce decree can not over rule a judgement.
    The creditor can still come after you, and you will have to go to divorce court and sue for the money to be paid back to you.

If the court ordered the other party as stated to re-fiance, and they did not, still all you can do is go back to court to have them held in contempt of the court order.

And no the borrower would have received all of the notices, you would not have. That is why you never co-sign for anyone , ever , period.

So what they did is legal, in all of the states I have been at, and is common procedure.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 14, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Yes, the ex-wife should be responsible for the debt; but since they both signed the note, the creditor could care less what the divorce decree says. They can, and will go after whoever can pay. Your husband can sue the ex for violating the terms of the divorce, but she is probably broke. He may have some recourse against the creditor for improper service, since they had to get a judgment against him prior to garnishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Account Garnished, Possible Lien, Please help [ 7 Answers ]

In March of 2003 I stopped paying 3 of my credit cards while I lived in FL. Now, World Assett Mgmt, a debt purchaser, and one of the worst, has placed a jugdement against me, filed for contempt of court, and has garnished my bank account. (I know I should have shown up for the court hearings, but I...

Default on car loan [ 6 Answers ]

I am facing a serious situation.I had a car loan and then I gat into an accident.It was a hit and run and the police never found the people that hit me.Unfortunelty right before that, because of serious financial problems, I couldn t make my insurance payments.Now I received a call from a lawyer...

Garnished bank account funds [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter...

View more questions Search