Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayachandrab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 03:22 AM
    .37 A cyclist travels for 2 hours at 20 km/hr, next 1 hour at 15Km/ hr and at 10 km/h
    Q.37 A cyclist travels for 2 hours at 20 km/hr, next 1 hour at 15Km/ hr and at 10 km/hr for the nuxt two hours. What will be his average speed in km/hr?
    (A) 9 (B) 15
    © 20 (D) 45
    (E) None of these.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 03:23 AM
    Hi, jayachandrab!

Are you looking for a direct answer or how to come up with the answer yourself, please?

Thanks!
    jayachandrab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 03:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayachandrab View Post
    Q.37 A cyclist travels for 2 hours at 20 km/hr, next 1 hour at 15Km/ hr and at 10 km/hr for the nuxt two hours. What will be his average speed in km/hr?
    (A) 9 (B) 15
    © 20 (D) 45
    (E) None of these.
    Answer=Total distance/total time

40+15+20/5=15
    Random.12am Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 03:27 AM

Hello,

First, you calculate the distance travelled. You know that

distance = speed x time. (equation 1)

I say "speed" rather than "velocity" because I assume direction is uniform in one dimension.

Anyway, for the first period where the cyclist is going at 20km/h, you have a distance of (20km/h x 2h = 40km) travelled. Similarly, for the next hour, the cyclist travels 15km, and finally 20km. Total distance is 40+15+20=75km. A manipulation of equation 1 yields:

speed = distance / time (equation 2)

And the total time is 5 hours. Therefore, the average speed is 75/5 = 15

Briefly, the answer is B.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayachandrab View Post
    Answer=Total distance/total time

40+15+20/5=15
    Thanks for the info. Why did you ask if you already knew the answer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried employee works 2 hours, do I get paid for 8 hours? [ 5 Answers ]

If I'm a salaried employee, and work 2 hours in the office one day, then go home sick, does my employer have to pay me for 8 hours?

The Cyclist [ 1 Answers ]

A cyclist travels at 30km/h for 50 percent of a journey 25km/h for 30 percent of the journey and 15km/h for the remaining of the journey. Calculate his average speed for the whole journey?

Vehicle damage due to avoiding cyclist. [ 2 Answers ]

While driving today I narrowly missed a girl on a bicycle who was about to cross my path by swerving toward the curb and locking my brakes. This was in the middle of the block and she wasn't paying a lick of attention until she heard the squeal of brakes. No doubt about who's error this was. My...

Cyclist hit by Car [ 1 Answers ]

I was riding on a public highway when I was hit from behind by a motorist. My fibula was broken among other assorted injuries. My question has to do with the property settlement. I was riding a 2003 TCR 0 which is the best bike Giant makes and has a carbon fiber frame which was damaged in the...

Bicylist with constant speed of 3.5 m/s being overtaken by cyclist accelerating. [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I've got a cyclist who rides by at a constant speed of 3.5 m/s and 2 seconds later a second cyclist hops on his bike and accelerates at 2.4 m/s until he catches his friend. How much time does it take for him to catch his friend? How har has he traveled in this time? What is his speed when he...

View more questions Search