Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 04:14 PM
    After surgery
    I had a laproscopic cholestectomy (gall bladder removal, sorry I didn't spell it right I don't think) on Wednesday. So, 2 days ago.
    The pain is steadily going down, started at a 6 on the day of surgery, but as the anestesia wore off, it went up to an 8. but now its back down to a 5 or 6. I'm on oxy codone, and feeling fine :D lol
    My concern is, it has been 2 days, and I am urinating well, it's a little uncomfratable, but not hard to do.
    However I have not had a bowel movement at all. I am eating. And its not that I can't get it to pass, I just don't seem to have a need for it. Or I just don't feel it or something.

How long should I wait before talking to the doctor about it? I have already started eating more fiber.
    caimin74 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 08:42 PM

I am an RN and I had a tubal in March of this year. It was almost two weeks before a BM, not a huge deal, pretty normal actually, because everything has slowed down in your colon due to the anesthesia and a foreing object being put into your body. The key is to keep taking stool softeners as directed ESPECIALLY since you are taking narcotics, which slows motility of the bowels down. Metamucil is really good to keep the stool soft. It will take a while for the motility of your bowels to get back to normal. If you do not have a BM after two weeks, you may need to start with suppositories to stimulate the peristalsis (normal contractions of the colon to move the stool down) And you spelled the procedure correctly. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 08:56 PM
    I agree with the above Jennie. Also, when doing this procedure there is a certain amount of air pumped into your abdominal cavity, this causes a gassy feeling, hopefully this has passed already.

As far as the meds, try to limit those as much as possible as it does cause constipation. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water to help combat the constipation, walking will help as well.
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 09:29 PM

Thanks guys.
    I totally get the air in my stomach :P its already travels up to my sholder numerous times. Eew.
    I've been taking Correctol (or whatever the spelling of it is) over the counter. With it being christmas I haven't been able to get to the doctoc, which is why I asked, in case I need to go to the ER. On Monday ill talk to her about a better stool softener if I don't have a BM by then.

I have cut down on the oxy codone, and started doing some ibupofen instead to see if that helps the pain. So far, the incision pain is gone except for the one under my belly button. But I'm a heavy girl, and so that incision is constantly being squished with my... ahem... mushroom top *blush* lol.

Thank you both. I will drink more water (my mouth has been SO dry from the intubation) and get up more instead of laying down. The oxy codone was making me take several naps thruout the day lol.

Although, I did get a taste of why I am SO glad I did the surgery Wednesday instead of waiting till after the holidays. At thanksgiving, after eating thanksgiving dinner, the acid reflux/heartburn and stomach ache was SOSO SO SO SO bad. It was so bad it almost felt like a heart attack (or at least what I THINK a heart attack would feel like)

However, tonight, we had christmas dinner, and although the accuall surgery pain is still there, I ate the same things as at thanksgiving, and while I did take it easy, is till ate a little more than I should have *blush* but I feel GREAT. No indegestion, no acid reflux, no nothing. Its amazing. :D

Tahnks again. Sorry for rambling so long. Lol.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 09:34 PM
    Remember now though Jennie that you need to stay away from fatty foods.

Stay with the ibuprofen. It's better for the bowel motility. Please do NOT go to the ER. No need. You know me, I don't recommend the EMeRGENCY RoOM for anything other than an EMeRGENCY.

Your bowels will return to normal soon. It's just the narcotics and the laying down causing the bowels not to empty.
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 10:16 PM

OK. Thanks hon. I did stay away from fatty food as best I could. I couldn't really pass up the ham, but I only had a small tiny bit. And I stayed completely away from the deep fried turkey. LOL. And I didn't have any pie, cause my sister said that when she had hers out, dairy made her feel bad.

I won't go to the ER. I was just worried. *hugs* thanks hon. The motrin is accually helping a lot too. But without the loopy drugged feeling hehe. And I have the 'good' motrin from the doctors. 600mgs ;) hehe.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2009, 11:15 PM

Glad your doing OK. Merry Christmas!

Senecot is another OTC stool softener.

Regular bowel movements are very individualistic, but as everyone said, the narcotics will cause constipation.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2009, 06:42 PM

Thank you both of you. I won't go into details over something like this ;) lol. But 'problem solved' LOL

Thanks keepitsimplestupid. I hope you had a good chrismtas too. Or whichever holiday is yours *hugs*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tubular breasts, surgery or no surgery? [ 28 Answers ]

Growing up I always hoped my weird looking breasts just hadn't fully developed but I'm now 21 and they're still the same. I didn't realise there was a medical name for my problem but recently I've been looking into surgery and was told I had tubular breasts. It's not so much the breast that I'm...

After surgery [ 3 Answers ]

I got one simple, quick question: COuld a persons attitude change drastically after a surgery? My boyfriend has a surgery about a week ago, and his attitude/personality or what have you, has completely changed, like completely. He was always a smart a**, you know constantly making smart...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

Do I need surgery? [ 3 Answers ]

I see many questions regarding dark undereye circles. The answer. Use agood concealer. But can any one help with under eye bags. As most concealers only make the problem more noticeable. I've tried so many products,sleeping with a high pillow. But nothing seems to work. Is the only solution...

NO to Surgery! [ 2 Answers ]

I am a black female with horrible stretch marks on my hips. I am very young so I love the low rise jeans, but I can not wear them because of my problem areas. I went to a dermatologist and he suggested plastic surgery, I have seen creams that reduce the appearance of strech marks, but I would like...

View more questions Search