Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
    Shrimp allergy?
    Had 4 huge tiger shrimp about five hours ago. Within a few hours I was cramping and feeling sick , etc... breathing starting kicking in and sore throat.

People thought excitement over christmas. Nope they are wrong.

I was thinking that it was a reaction from all the different foods I was eating then I remembered that as soon as I ate the shrimp my throat felt really itchy and weird and was wondering why.

I started panicking after many trips to the washroom and many puffers later, also had one allergy pill that I finally took just in case.

Went to the hospital to get checked over talked to the lpn nurse and they did not have much suggestions.

So I am feeling better. But had many symptoms that come and go. Sore throat, chills, and everything else except for vomiting tried that did not work.

Anyway, I am assuming it was an allergic reaction but never had a real allergy to shell fish before.

Hope it does not turn into a medical emergency but I assume if I was really badly allergic that I would have already been gone by now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 07:21 PM

Sounds like one, there are serious reactions to them
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 07:49 PM
    It certainly sounds like it could have been a shellfish allergy. Unfortunately, if I were you, I would stay away from shellfish. This can come on suddenly and be extremely dangerous if it should happen again.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 08:34 PM

Thank you J9. Like I said no known allergy before.

I am still having the chills and stomach pain and other stuff but not as bad.

Resting now.
    Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 08:37 PM
    You could have just gotten some bad shrimp. Itchy throat and breathing problems are indicative of a severe allergy. The chills and stomach pain are indicative of food poisoning.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 08:42 PM

Guess I had both then.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 08:43 PM
    Though my wife and uncle did not have any reaction at all.
    Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 08:43 PM
    I don't know what to tell you Joe, other than stay away from shellfish.

Didn't you have a problem like this a few years ago that we talked about?
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 08:54 PM

Nope. Never talked about it before. Never had any problems before. Not with food allergies. Not that I am aware of, although I stay away from cheese and milk most of the time.

After today I am never going near it again.
    Expert

Dec 24, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Don't Joe, the throat problems and the breathing problems are associated with anaphylactic shock, and can be deadly. Better safe than sorry, and you have that beautiful wife and baby to look after.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deadly shrimp allergy? [ 2 Answers ]

:eek:Hey I just wanted to know if its OK to eat shrimp even though it makes my lips and throat itch a little.Im 20 and I wasn't always allergic to shrimp but I started feeling these effects around age 16. THANKS!

Dying shrimp and lobsters [ 16 Answers ]

Hello all that can help me Here's the facts, I bought a 12 gallon nano tank, bought live sea water and sand from the store, I bought 4 lbs of live rock, there are 2 other rocks one of which was in a freshwater tank but was scrubbed, there were 4 plastic plants ...

Tail on shrimp [ 6 Answers ]

What is the etiquette for eating tail on shrimp?

Eating shrimp [ 5 Answers ]

How should you eat shrimp with tails on in public

View more questions Search